Skip Navigation
Nicole Baker

Resources for Veteran Students

Table of Contents

  1. Federal Financial Aid
    1. Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant
  2. Department of Veterans Affairs
  3. Other Resources
  4. Refund Policies
    1. Title IV Refund Policy for Veterans
    2. Refund Policy for Active Military
  5. Academic Support
  6. Orientation
  7. Department Chairs and Program Coordinators
  8. Re-matriculation Policy
  9. MyKSC
  10. Blackboard
  11. Books
  12. ID
  13. Parking
  14. Food on Campus
  15. Housing
  16. Internships and Career Services
  17. The Wellness Center
  18. Recreation Center

Federal Financial Aid

As a veteran, active duty personnel, or a family member of a veteran or active duty personnel, you may qualify for other types Federal financial aid benefits. The student needs to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) (link).

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant

You may be eligible to receive the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant if you meet the following criteria:

  • You are not currently eligible for a Federal Pell Grant based on your EFC, but
  • Meet the remaining Federal Pell Grant eligibility requirements, and
  • Your parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. armed forces and died as a result of military service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11, and
  • You were under 24 years of age or enrolled in college at least part time at the time of your parent’s or guardian’s death

Because the question is not on the FAFSA, students will need to notify the Financial Aid office concerning their eligibility for this additional benefit.

Department of Veterans Affairs

The VA offers educational benefits for veterans, their widows, and dependents through the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, the Montgomery GI Bill®, and other programs. To learn more information about VA benefits available to you, visit their website or call them at 1-888-GI-BILL (1-888-442-4551).

Students who are eligible for VA Educational Benefits must submit a copy of their Certificate of Eligibility to the KSC certifying official located in the Student Accounts Office. Students should visit the US Dept. of Veteran Affairs to complete an application for education benefits (VA Form 22-1990). Once approved, the eligible awards can be seen on the student’s financial aid award letter.

Other Resources

Refund Policies

Title IV Refund Policy for Veterans

This refund policy applies to all full-time and part-time students enrolled at Keene State College who are receiving Federal Title IV Financial Aid and withdraw from all classes.

This policy is mandated by federal regulations.

This policy deals only with the percentage of aid that is earned by a student. Charges incurred by a student who withdraws from the College are determined in accordance with the Institutional Refund Policy.

Refund of Federal Financial Aid will be based on the date a student completely withdraws from the College as described above. During the first 60% of the semester a student earns Title IV funds in direct proportion to the length of time he or she remained enrolled. A student who remains enrolled beyond the 60% point earns all aid for the semester. A statement reflecting these changes will be sent to the student by electronic means.

It is very possible that a student who receives federal financial aid and withdraws from the College will owe a balance to the Keene State College Student Accounts Office and may be required to repay funds to the U.S. Department of Education. Students considering withdrawing from Keene State College are advised to contact the Dean of Students Office. Please review the Cost Adjustment policy for full details.

Refund Policy for Active Military

Return of Tuition Assistance: Military Tuition Assistance (TA) is awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded. When a student withdraws, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of TA funds originally awarded. To comply with the new Department of Defense policy, Keene State College will return any unearned TA funds on a prorate basis through at least the 60% portion of the period for which the funds were provided. TA funds are earned proportionally during an enrollment period, with unearned funds returned based upon when a student stops attending.

The following is KSC schedule for the return of unearned TA funds:

  • For a standard 15-week (7 day instruction) Course Withdraw submission:
  • Before or during weeks 1-2 100% return
  • During weeks 3-4 75% return
  • During weeks 5-8 50% return
  • During weeks 9-10 40% return (60% of course is completed)
  • During weeks 11-15 0% return

Academic Support

KSC is committed to an accessible learning environment for all students. We have a wide range of services to help students achieve their identity and place academically and socially. Academic support services give students the personal attention they need to arrive and thrive at Keene state.


Complete details about orientation.

Department Chairs and Program Coordinators

Want to make contact with our faculty who work in a field that you’re interested in exploring?

Re-matriculation Policy

Please read our Re-matriculation Policy for complete details on returning to Keene State College.


My KSC is your student portal – a single point of access for all student web services. Through MyKSC, you will have access to a wide range of tools including email, calendar, address books, task lists, file storage, transcripts, schedules, degree progress tracking, bill paying, class registration, electronic library resources, and on-line book ordering. Every full-time student has a MyKSC account. You will receive a letter with your NetID and MyKSC email address information. At that time, you will have the ability to access your MyKSC account.

Be sure to check your MyKSC account often, as this is the primary communication channel used by faculty and administrative staff to keep you informed about course registration, tuition bills, and other official notices. Call the HelpDesk, 603-358-2532, if you have problems accessing your MyKSC account.


Blackboard is a web-based classroom software application that is widely used by faculty to engage students in the learning process. Blackboard allows you to move easily between courses and to work productively with your faculty and classmates.


The campus bookstore is located on the first floor of the Student Center. The staff can help you find the books your faculty have ordered and make sure you get the version or edition the faculty require for their course. Take a copy of your schedule and the staff will help you get everything you need.


All new students need to get an ID, which at KSC is called the Owl Card. The card gives students access to the Recreation Center, library materials, Dining Commons (if you have a meal plan), and most residence halls for residential students. Full-time students can get their card from the ID office in the lobby of the Dining Commons, Monday through Friday 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. during the academic year, and 11 a.m.-2 p.m. or by appointment during the summer.


If you’ll be parking on campus, you’ll need to get a parking pass (residential students with fewer than 20 credits are not eligible for a parking pass.) The parking office is located in 331 Main Street on the corner of Main Street and Wyman Way. Enter the building from the parking lot at the rear of the building – the parking office is on the 2nd floor.

Food on Campus

Food is available at several locations on campus. You can purchase a meal plan or buy individual meals on a single cash basis at the Dining Commons. Meals for take-out are available for cash or by using a meal plan at the Hoot-n-Scoot, located on the northeast corner of the Dining Commons. In the Student Center, you can find food at Lloyd’s Marketplace, Bean and Bagel Express, the Night Owl Café, or the Owl’s Nest convenience store.


If you’re interested in campus housing, contact Mandy Martin, assistant director for Housing Operations (603-358-2339), to see if they have any available spaces appropriate to your needs.

Internships and Career Services

Local, regional, and national companies and organizations, as well as private families, wish to recruit you for various openings. These include part-time positions for pay while you are in school; summer jobs for either experience or pay; internships related to your field of study (paid and unpaid); and career opportunities when you are ready to graduate.

The Wellness Center

Resources for health, wellness and counseling on campus.

Recreation Center

Need to work out? Want to join a recreation team?

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

Contact the Veterans Coordinator

Bert Poirier
603-358-2271 ·
229 Main Street, Keene, New Hampshire 03435