Table of Contents
- Veterans Services Information
- Yellow Ribbon Program
- Veterans Support Services (VSS)
- How to Get Started
Veterans Services Information
The Student Accounts Office Veterans’ Certifying Official assists students in receiving their VA educational assistance entitlement. Enrollment certifications are completed by this office and reported to the appropriate VA regional office (Buffalo, NY). You may contact the Certifying Official at 603-358-2263 if you have any questions.
Applying for Educational Benefits or Changes in Enrollment Status
If you require assistance on how to get started applying for educational benefits, please contact Deborah Dubiel in our Student Accounts Office at 603-358-2314. For changes in enrollment status, please contact the Veterans’ Certifying Official at (603) 358-2263 or stop by the Student Accounts Office. You may check the status of your benefits by visiting the VA Educational Benefits Home Page, or calling the automated phone system at 1-888-GIBILL1. This allows you to check your status with the VA, 24 hours/day.
USNH policy addresses Section 702 of the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014 (“Choice Act”) regarding military residency requirements in Board of Trustees Financial Policies, subsection E, Classification of Students for Tuition Purposes (Residency Rules):
- (10.1) A member of the Armed Forces of the United States stationed in this state under military orders shall be entitled to classification for himself/herself, spouse and dependent children as in-state for tuition purposes so long as the member remains on active duty in this state pursuant to such orders.
- (10.2) Individuals receiving educational assistance under 38 U.S.C. § 3001 et seq. or 38 U.S.C. § 3301 et seq., including children or spouses of active service members or veterans eligible for educational assistance under 38 U.S.C. § 3311(b)(9) or 38 U.S.C. § 3319, shall be eligible for the in-state rate while living in this state.
Starting with our fall 2018 semester, Keene State College now participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program. If you are not a New Hampshire resident, please see the information on this page to find out more about this program.
Please be aware that we are required by law to notify the VA whenever a change in enrollment affects your enrollment status. This will most likely affect your VA payments. Instructions for Receiving Educational Benefits
Instructions for Receiving Educational Benefits
First-time veteran students should:
- Complete VA Form 22-1990 (application for educational benefits). In many cases you can complete the process online through the VA website. This should be done at the earliest possible time after you have been accepted to Keene State College. It may take 6 to 8 weeks for your claim to be processed, so file as early as possible. If you have already applied for the benefits, please provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility, issued by the VA, to the Veterans’ Certifying Official.
- Provide a copy of your separation papers, DD214 (active duty) or an original “Notice of Basic Eligibility” from your reserve unit (reservists), or, if you have already applied for the benefits, please provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility, issued by the VA.
- Veterans’ Dependents applying for educational benefits need to complete form 22-5490 (Application for Survivors’ & Dependents’ Educational Assistance), and submit to the certifying official.
- For Veterans’ Educational Benefits financial aid process information, contact the Financial Aid Office at 800-572-1909 or 603-358-2280, Fax: 603-358-2794.
- Contact the Veterans’ Certifying Official in the Student Accounts Office at (603) 358-2263 for assistance in obtaining or filing the forms.
Continuing veteran students should:
- Complete KSC Veteran/Dependent Enrollment Certification Request form each semester you expect to be enrolled. Failure to submit this form may result in a delay of benefits. This form is available in the Student Accounts Office, or on line. Deborah Dubiel in Student Accounts if you enrollment plans change and you are not going to be enrolled.
- In accordance with requirements of the Higher Education Act (34 CFR 668.34), Keene State College has established certain standards for evaluating the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) of Title IV Financial Aid recipients. The Satisfactory Academic Progress policy stated herein applies to students using veterans tuition benefits under the GI BIll® and participating students who fail to meet the standards of the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy after a term of probation will be subject to termination of those veterans tuition benefits.
Yellow Ribbon Program
Keene State College now participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program. A veteran must be 100% eligible for Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefits, and be an out of state resident to qualify for Yellow Ribbon benefits at Keene State College.
If you already qualify for in-state tuition, as a NH resident, your tuition and fee is fully covered under VA educational benefits.
If you are not a NH resident, and are 100% eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill®, your VA benefits will cover up to the cost of in-state tuition, and the Yellow Ribbon benefit along with a matching VA grant will cover the remaining amount of tuition and fee.
Veterans Support Services (VSS)
VSS helps veterans navigate the academic and social support paperwork and programs that help you get the most from your educational experience. VSS works with a number of campus departments and offices to coordinate recruitment, orientation, retention, and graduation. VSS works especially closely with academic and student support services to ensure that your specific needs are addressed.
Mission of Veterans Support Services
The mission of Keene State College’s Veterans Support Services is to implement and coordinate academic and social support programs that enable KSC veteran students to gain the greatest benefit from their educational experience.
In all pursuits, Veterans Student Support Services (VSS) strives to:
- Enhance students’ opportunities for active involvement in the College and the Keene community
- Support individual and student group initiatives that address military to civilian transition issues
- Assure that student veterans have equal access to all academic, social and recreational programs, groups and activities
- Promote and incorporate into every aspect of campus life an appreciation for veteran’s issues.
Questions or Concerns?
The Veterans Support Advisory Committee is a standing committee dedicated to making Keene State College a welcoming, comfortable, and engaging campus for veterans. Issues that detract from that goal should be brought to the attention of the committee.
Keene State College prohibits high-pressure recruitment tactics, and the use of commissions, bonuses, or other incentive payment programs given to employees or contractors for the purpose of securing enrollment of Service members. Prospective students are encouraged to contact their Educational Servicers Officer, or a counselor within their Military service for approval prior to enrollment.
How to Get Started
Veterans: If you are a military veteran, please call the Admissions Office or stop by for an initial conversation. An Admissions counselor will help you apply and complete the paperwork for your educational benefits.
Call today or stop by the Admissions Office in the Elliot Center.
603-358-2276 or 800-KSC-1909
- NH Dept. of Employment and Training Vet Resources
- NH State Office of Veterans Services
- NH Higher Ed Veterans Information
- The Red Cross
- White River Junction VA Hospital
- Brattleboro VA Outpatient Clinic
- Manchester VA Hospital
- KSC Admissions Office
- Counseling Services & Health and Wellness: KSCemail@example.com
- Disability Services: Lisa David
- Aspire: Katie Robinson
- Academic Advising: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Career Advising: Louise Ewing
- Internships: Kristin Brooks
- Educational Benefits: Fanny Kelley
- Financial Aid: Cynthia Richard
Resources for Veterans
- Please see our resources for veterans page for information about financial aid, refunds, academic support, enrollment and more.
- Keene State College Continuing Education
- Keene State College Admissions
- Academic and Career Advising
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs