Career exploration requires self-assessment, researching career options and developing a plan to reach your unique career goals.
Consider the following when you explore your options and make career decisions:
- What do you value: income, freedom, creativity, life/work balance, prestige?
- What academic, career and other interests and skills do you have?
- What are your likes and dislikes?
- What classes do you enjoy the most and why?
- What do you enjoy doing outside of class?
- What type of activities bring you joy?
- What is your dream job and why?
Current students can login to FOCUS2 - a career, major and education planning system.
Research and Explore
- What Can I Do With This Major? - Select a major, receive information on related occupations, employers, professional associations and skill development strategies.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook and O*Net - Gather information on the nature of the work, training/education required, future job outlook, salaries and related occupations.
- Pursue practical experiences including job shadowing, informational interviewing, volunteering, and/or interning.
- Attend ACA-related events such as panel discussions, presentations and career and graduate school fairs.
- Attend the KSC Career Speaker Series. The Career Speaker Series has introduced students to successful alumni and companies in a wide-range of fields as well as experts in landing that perfect internship and first job.
Analyze and Decide
Create a list of pros and cons of careers you are considering. Analyze how each career fits with your interests, skills and values.
Create a career plan to ensure you meet your career goals:
- Choose courses/major/minor related to career interests
- Create a list of skills required to be successful in a career and how to acquire them
- Get involved in clubs, activities and organizations related to career interests
- Gain practical experience through interning, volunteering, work, and undergraduate research experiences. Develop transferable skills and build a professional network.