KSC has been operating college preparatory programs since 1974. These programs provide students with an array of academic, social, and cultural activities designed to improve skills required to navigate post-secondary education.
What Is Upward Bound?
Upward Bound (UB) is a year-round college preparatory program. It prepares students for success in high school and enrollment in college. It is funded by the U.S. Department of Education and is free of charge to students who meet eligibility criteria. It serves students enrolled in the following high schools in New Hampshire and Vermont: Bellows Falls Union, Brattleboro Union, Fall Mountain Regional,Green Mountain Union, Hinsdale Middle/High School, Keene, Leland and Gray Union, and Springfield.
What Is Upward Bound Math-Science?
Upward Bound Math-Science (UBMS) is also a year-round college preparatory program. It prepares students for success in high school and postsecondary programs that lead to careers in the fields of math and science. UBMS is funded by a five year grant from the U.S. Department of Education and is free of charge to students who meet eligibility criteria. It serves students enrolled in the following high schools in New Hampshire: Conant High School, ConVal High School, Hillsborough-Deering High School, and John Stark Regional High School.
Students participate in both an Academic Year Program and a Summer Residential Program. Typically, a student is enrolled for three to four years.
Goals of the Upward Bound Programs
- Prepare students to complete a rigorous high school program of study.
- Assist students in applying to and enrolling in college.
- Introduce students to stimulating new areas of interest, both academic and non-academic, available at most colleges.
- Improve students’ reading, writing, math, science, test-taking, and study skills.
- Improve skills for relating to others from their own and different cultures.
- Give students the experience of cooperative living through self-governing residence on campus.
- Allow students to explore leadership potential and strengthen a commitment to self-improvement.