Aspire’s Tutoring Program brings students together with trained tutors to improve the skills essential for coursework, address questions about the course content, organize study plans, and build confidence. Aspire Tutoring is intended to supplement and complement the course as designed and presented by the instructor; it is not a replacement for the course. Students are strongly encouraged to seek primary support from their faculty. Tutoring is open to all students on campus, subject to the availability of tutors.
Stop by Student Academic Support Services (SASS) to get connected with an Aspire Tutor!
- Where? SASS is on the first floor of Elliot. Take two rights after entering the building
- When? No appointment needed! We are available to drop-in students Monday-Friday between 9:30am-3:30pm.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are my options for tutoring?
Aspire offers two types of free peer tutoring – course-based and drop-in.
- Course-based tutoring can be scheduled ahead of time and is connected to a specific course. We provide tutoring for mostly introductory level courses based on the availability of qualified tutors.
- Drop-in tutoring is available for Biology and Chemistry classes in Science 227. You do not need to make an appointment to access this type of tutoring.
Why should I meet with a tutor?
Students meet with tutors for a variety of reasons these include, but are not limited to:
- Boost your understanding of course content and confidence with material
- Get assistance understanding directions for assignments or projects
- Help with creating study guides or plans for quizzes and exams
- Build a routine to help you stay on track with assignments
- Work with a peer to help you stay focused You do not need to be failing a class to access tutoring. It doesn’t need to take too much of your time, and it is completely free.
How do I meet with a course-based tutor?
Come to the Student Academic Support Services office located on the 1st floor of the Elliot Center between 9:30am and 3:30pm and someone will be available to talk with you about tutoring options and submit a tutor request with you. When we have a tutor already on staff you’ll be matched right away.
Where and when can I meet with a drop-in tutor?
We offer drop-in tutoring for Biology and Chemistry. You do not need an appointment for this type of tutoring - just show up. You can view the schedules and locations by following this link and signing in: View the Drop-In Schedules. Students can attend as many drop-in hours per week as they wish.
What if there is not a tutor available for a course I want?
While we cannot guarantee a tutor for every class, we will try to identify a qualified peer to offer tutoring for your requested class. Please come to Student Academic Support Services on the 1st floor of Elliot to request a tutor or hear about your other academic support options, which include the following:
How fast can I get a tutor?
If we already have a tutor hired for the course you are looking for, you could meet with them as soon as today. We have drop-in tutors working every day Monday-Friday. Course-based tutor appointments vary based on your shared availability.
If we do not a have a tutor on staff for the class you are looking for, it can take us one-two weeks to hire someone new. We can’t guarantee our ability to fill every tutor request but we will remain in communication with you as we try to do so.
Who are Aspire tutors?
Tutors are current Keene State students who may be eligible for work study or student hourly pay. Tutors must receive at least a B in the course or courses they wish to tutor and have an overall GPA of at least a 2.75 (3.0 preferred) and maintain that GPA. Tutors must communicate well and be willing to work with individuals or small groups, have a sincere desire to help, and have a high level of patience.