Getting Around at Keene State and the City of Keene
Getting Around Campus
Keene State College prides itself on how walkable the campus is. From getting to class, zipping to Lloyds for a study break fuel up, to accessing the various offices and services on campus, there is no place a community member can’t walk to within a reasonable time. Most folks can transit to campus in five to ten minutes.
Personal Transportation Devices
Items like skateboards, rollerblades, bikes, and scooters are an effective way to transit campus. We often see students outside riding on campus and in the community. Campus Safety would like to remind individuals using bicycles, rollerblades, and skateboards are expected to use the equipment in a manner that is appropriate, and considerate of others and of College property. The use of personal transportation devices is to be used as transportation from one location to another. The College recognizes that individuals may perform flat ground tricks as they move along, but such tricks involve risks and it is the sole responsibility of the operators to maintain control of themselves and their equipment. Interested in doing tricks? Check out the Keene Skate Park
Got a bike? Register it!
Campus Safety encourages our campus community to register their bike with the college. Students, staff, and faculty can register their bicycles at no cost. This will not only provide the registration information to the college but also to the City of Keene. Registering your bike helps increase the chances of it getting back to you, and it’s free! Visit the registration form here
Safety Escort Program
The Department of Campus Safety runs a safety escort program, which is available to our students, staff, and faculty on a 24/7 basis. Campus Safety Officers will provide a safety escort on foot or by vehicle to on-campus locations. This service is based upon officer availability, which may limit the availability of the service depending on call volume. Officers may also provide a safety escort to the ConvenientMD and Cheshire Hospital emergency room, individuals needing medical transport for appointments are encouraged to use other means of transportation, the safety escort program can not provide transportation to appointments, work, or interviews. Call 603-358-2228 to request a safety escort.
Important Information about Safety Escorts
- When you call for a Safety Escort you must provide your name; exact location and destination.
- Transportation will not be provided to parties, restaurants, bars, etc. Alcohol or controlled substances shall not be transported in KSC vehicles. *Where a Campus Safety Officer observes a violation of College policy or criminal law, the appropriate authorities will be notified; however, the KSC Good Samaritan Policy may be recognized.
- Service requests can be refused or abated for verbal or physical abuse, severe intoxication (the police or EMS will be contacted), abuse of the service, or any circumstance that compromises the health and safety of the driver or passengers
- Safety Escorts may be delayed or canceled due to weather, vehicle maintenance, personnel shortages, or priority assignments
- Non-emergency medical transportation (to appointments, etc.) should be arranged through the City Express, local taxi or ride share services.
Getting Around Keene
Walking and using personal transportation devices
Keene is a highly walkable city, with plenty of sidewalks, crosswalks, and footpaths to get you where you need to go. Downtown Keene is a short five-minute walk from the Archway, you will find restaurants, coffee shops, bookstores, clothing stores, and other cool things to do when you visit downtown. Campus Safety would like to remind our community that bikes, skateboards, scooters, and other unmotorized transportation devices may not be ridden in the downtown area, click here for the city ordinance. Please look both ways before crossing the street!
Trails around Keene
Keene is known for its amazing trail system that traverses the city. To learn more and find a map, click here
Transportation around Keene and the greater area
City Express Shuttle
Operating on weekdays from 8 am to 4:30 pm, the City Express bus provides transportation around Keene, stops including the YMCA, Cheshire Medical Center, downtown, Walmart Plaza, Target and many more! Please be ready to pay the ride fare of $1. Click here to see the map of stops and to learn more.
- Sunshine Taxi , Call 603-762-9217
- Adventure Taxi, Call 603-355-1484
- Tony’s Taxi, Call 603-499-1900
- Thomas Transportation, Call 603-325-5550
Greyhound Bus Station, Located at Corner News in downtown. Click here for daily schedules and rate
Please note that mere inclusion on this list does not convey endorsement by Keene State College or the Department of Campus Safety.