Skip Navigation
Student walking on campus

Get Help

Resources for Support and Help

The health and safety of campus community members is the College’s primary concern. Call 911 if you or another member of the KSC community is in immediate danger.

A victim/survivor of sexual misconduct or relationship violence may experience many conflicting emotions including shock, fear, anger, guilt, shame, or numbness. Each survivor’s response is unique. Often people find that their eating, sleeping, exercise, self-care or social patterns have changed. They find themselves isolating from others or being unable to concentrate on work or schoolwork. Whether someone chooses to report their experience or not, talking with a counselor or a trusted friend or family member can be very helpful.

Confidential Counseling

Keene State College has support resources with professional and legal mandates to protect the confidentiality of the information disclosed by a person impacted by sexual misconduct and/or relationship violence. These resources are not required to report what is shared with them to the College or law enforcement personnel:

Title IX Office

Any member of the Keene State College community (including students, faculty, and staff) who has concerns about sexual assault, gender-based harassment, dating violence, domestic violence, stalking, sexual exploitation, or sexual harassment is encouraged to contact the Title IX Coordinator.

The Title IX Office is located at 48 Butler Court and can be reached at 603-358-2010. You can also report incidents of sexual or relationship violence online via this reporting form.

Specifically, contact the Title IX coordinator if you:

  • want to understand your options if you think you may have experienced sexual misconduct
  • learn of a situation that you think may warrant a College investigation
  • need help with how to handle a situation that indirectly affects you (for example, if it involves a friend, colleague, or teammate)
  • want guidance on possible supportive or administrative measures to de-escalate or alleviate a difficult situation
  • have questions about Keene State College’s policies and procedures

If you want to disclose sexual misconduct or relationship violence to a confidential source, you should speak with a licensed counselor. Information shared with certified counselors is generally legally protected from further disclosure as confidential or privileged communications and cannot be disclosed absent extraordinary circumstances. At Keene State, confidential services are available through the Wellness Center- Counseling Services (3rd floor Elliot).

The Title IX Coordinator will seek to protect the privacy of the individuals involved in any report of alleged sexual misconduct, harassment, or relationship violence to the extent possible and allowable by law. The Title IX Coordinator cannot guarantee absolute confidentiality.

MCVP: Crisis and Prevention Center

MCVP: Crisis and Prevention Center provides confidential crisis intervention services for people who have experienced relationship violence, stalking, and sexual violence, including sexual assault, sexual exploitation, and child abuse. They provide confidential crisis intervention services, including medical, legal and court advocacy, financial advocacy, crisis counseling, safety planning, and referrals to other resources. They provide secondary support for an individual’s friends and family, emergency shelter, and Housing First. Their advocates may also be able to help qualifying victim/survivors with unbundled or pro bono legal services, financial compensation, access to food, clothing, and transportation. MCVP is oftentimes on campus facilitating sexual misconduct prevention education and can meet students on campus for counseling.

  • MCVP: Crisis and Prevention Center 24hr confidential hotline: 1-888-511-6287 or 603-352-3782

MCVP: Crisis and Prevention Center is also KSC’s designated confidential resource advisor. A confidential resource advisor is a trained, confidential person who can advise students on their options, including reporting availability, on-campus resources, and off-campus resources. Confidential resource advisors provide students with additional support they need and are not obligated to report to the College.

Keene State Campus Safety and Keene Police Department

Campus Safety is available 24/7 to take a report and provide support regarding sexual misconduct or relationship violence, regardless of where or when the incident occurred. If desired by the reporting party, Campus Safety will provide a same-sex officer to record the report. The reporting student may have an advisor or advocate with them during any interviews or meetings with College officials.

  • Campus Safety is located in Keddy House and can be contacted at: 603-358-2228.

Keene State College maintains a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Keene Police Department. This memorandum outlines the coordinated process and rights and responsibilities that will be followed if the reporting party wishes to file a concurrent report with the Keene Police Department.

  • Contact the Keene Police Department by calling 911 or the non-emergency line at: 603-357-9813.

The College may issue a campus alert (without identifying the reporting individual) in situations where the College believes there is an imminent threat posed to the campus community. All actions taken, including the possible release of a timely warning to the community, will be designed to protect the reporting individual’s identity.

uSafeUS App

The free and confidential uSafeUS app provides Keene State students with information about college and community resources and supports regarding sexual and relationship violence as well as easy-to-use tools to help them and their friends exit uncomfortable situations and get home safely. Search “uSafeUS” in the App Store or on Google Play to download for free today. Once downloaded, search for Keene State.

Specific Sexual and Relationship Violence Information and Resources

National Resources

Medical Considerations

Victim/survivors may wish to seek medical attention. When you seek medical care promptly, along with treating injuries, your provider can test for pregnancy and STIs/STDs (sexually transmitted infections/sexually transmitted diseases), such as human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), chlamydia, gonorrhea, genital warts, human papillomavirus (HPV), genital herpes, and syphilis. Additionally, victim/survivors may be interested in learning more about pre-exposure medication and post exposure medication that can prevent HIV transmission; these medications are called PrEP and PEP.

If non-consensual choking or strangling was involved in the incident, then a medical provider can examine the area for injury and outline steps for recovery.

A forensic examination can also secure valuable evidence that could be used later if a person wishes to involve law enforcement. Physical evidence may exist up to five (5) days, or longer, after a sexual assault or rape, though individuals are recommended to receive an examination as soon as possible. Local medical facilities can arrange to have a specially trained Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) conduct a forensic examination, which collects evidence from a person’s body, clothes, and other belongings. A trained advocate can meet a victim/survivor at the hospital to provide emotional support, which would be arranged by the hospital. The results of this examination can be provided to law enforcement anonymously. The choice to report is always in the hands of the victim/survivor.

When a sexual assault or relationship violence victim/survivor seeks treatment at the hospital, the State of New Hampshire Office of the Attorney General will pay the cost for medical expenses, including the physical examination, if the experience is reported to the police. Other expenses related to the incident may also be provided at no cost to the victim/survivor through the Victim’s Compensation Program. Specific information on expenses is available through MCVP: Crisis and Prevention Center.

The College’s Wellness Center does not perform forensic exams but medical staff are happy to meet with you to discuss why these are important and to facilitate how to get a forensic exam.

Academic Accommodations and Supportive Measures

Keene State College may take supportive measures upon learning of any allegation of sexual misconduct or relationship violence. These measures are available regardless of whether the victim/survivor chooses to report the relationship violence or sexual misconduct to law enforcement. Supportive measures may be remedial or protective. Supportive measures will not disproportionately impact the reporting party or the responding party.

Possible supportive measures may include:

  • the ability to change academic or work schedules
  • withdraw from or retake a class without penalty
  • receive academic support services or counseling, or
  • change housing arrangements.

The College may also issue “no contact” orders between involved parties or limit an individual or organization’s access to certain College facilities or activities pending resolution of the matter.

In sexual misconduct or relationship violence cases, the Title IX Coordinator will assure individualized and appropriate supportive measures are provided for students.

Contact Sexual Violence Prevention Virtual Resource Center

Megan Grove (she/her)
Office on Violence Against Women (OVW) Grant Director and Sexual Violence Prevention Specialist
Not a confidential resource