Skip Navigation

Use of Independent Contractor Agreements

(aka: service providers, consultants)

Keene State College bid parameters still apply, even when written in a grant.

Independent contractors:

  • May be an individual or a partnership – Banner users can search entity by entering FTMVEND on the General Menu screen. (Corporations are coded with a “C”)
  • May be Non-profits
  • Do not meet IRS definition of “employee”
  • Are not a USNH employee, nor has a personal or familial relationship with a USNH employee
  • Need special approval if legal, insurance, or accounting and auditing.

You may need to use an Independent Contractor agreement when you:

  • Need a unique service not available from another source within USNH or not at time needed
  • Need a unique service outside of USNH. Should be qualified, cost effective, etc.

Independent Contractor Agreements need to contain:

  • Basic info
  • Hiring admin info
  • Description of service
  • Dates of service
  • Fees and payment arrangements
  • Selection process for choosing this Independent Contractor
  • Funding source
  • Employee vs Independent Contractor determination checklist
  • Independent contractor signature.
  • Hiring Administrator signature

If not already an active USNH/KSC vendor:

Questions or concerns:

  • Unimarket Support Phone: (888) 868-5929
  • Support Email:

If you are not able to use the online portal please use the substitute W-9. Per policy, please fax (603-358-2495) to KSC Purchasing rather than sending via email. The hiring department forwards the Substitute W-9 to the Campus Purchasing Department. The Campus Purchasing Department will enter the Substitute W-9 info into Banner to create the vendor code (if applicable).

The hiring department can then enter a Requisition in Banner; forwarding the agreement to the Purchasing Department (original preferred but copy is acceptable). Departments should retain a copy of the agreement. The Campus Purchasing Department reviews the agreement, noting that appropriate insurance coverages are in place. The Requisition is converted to a PO, printed and mailed by the Purchasing Department unless other arrangements are made. Change forms are available and follow a similar process.

Independent Contract Agreement (Word)

Artist Agreement PDF or Word

Also Note:

Each activity on campus requires a risk assessment. Those that are considered risky or put the college in a greater liability position will require a certificate of insurance or completed hold harmless form from the campus visitor. Please contact us with any/all questions BEFORE the event. The hold harmless form for most artists, performers and lecturers will not be required IF the Artist Agreement is completed BEFORE the event.

Contact Purchasing

Purchasing Office

Fiske Annex, M-1601
Keene State College
229 Main St, Keene NH 03435

Our Staff