Use of Independent Contractor Agreements
(aka: service providers, consultants)
Keene State College bid parameters still apply, even when written in a grant.
- May be an individual or a partnership – Banner users can search entity by entering FTMVEND on the General Menu screen. (Corporations are coded with a “C”)
- May be Non-profits
- Do not meet IRS definition of “employee”
- Are not a USNH employee, nor has a personal or familial relationship with a USNH employee
- Need special approval if legal, insurance, or accounting and auditing.
- Contracts must be in to the Purchasing Office two weeks prior to work dates
- Once approved, a requisition must be entered for services rendered
You may need to use an Independent Contractor agreement when you:
- Need a unique service not available from another source within USNH or not at time needed
- Need a unique service outside of USNH. Should be qualified, cost effective, etc.
Independent Contractor Agreements need to contain:
- Basic info
- Hiring admin info
- Description of service
- Dates of service
- Fees and payment arrangements
- Selection process for choosing this Independent Contractor
- Funding source
- Employee vs Independent Contractor determination checklist
- Independent contractor signature.
- Hiring Administrator signature
If not already an active USNH/KSC vendor:
- A Substitute W-9 must be completed
The hiring department can then enter a Requisition in Banner; forwarding the agreement to the Purchasing Department (original preferred but copy is acceptable). Departments should retain a copy of the agreement. The Campus Purchasing Department reviews the agreement, noting that appropriate insurance coverages are in place. The Requisition is converted to a PO. Changes follow a similar process.
- Independent Contract Agreement (Word)
- Artist Agreement PDF or Word
Each activity on campus requires a risk assessment. Those that are considered risky or put the college in a greater liability position will require a certificate of insurance or completed hold harmless form from the campus visitor. Please contact us with any/all questions BEFORE the event.
The hold harmless form for most artists, performers and lecturers will not be required IF the Artist Agreement is completed BEFORE the event.