Recreation Center/Spaulding Gymnasium
Hosting Owl games since 1968, Spaulding Gym is the home court for varsity basketball and volleyball. The Gym received a makeover in the summer of 2011 adding a new floor, chair-back seating and bleachers for a seating capacity of 1,600 to become one of the top home revenues in New England. The facility also houses:
- A 25-yard, six-lane swimming pool, used by the Owl swim/diving teams
- Two multipurpose rooms
- Academic classroom and athletic training/exercise science labs
- Athletic training facility
- Men’s and women’s locker rooms
WEIGHT ROOM RENOVATIONS
- The weight room renovation project will require the transitioning out the existing weight room equipment and flooring for the new equipment and flooring.
- We will be closing the first wood court in the rec gym on Monday, December 4 for the floor to be tarped and for melamine/plywood to be laid down to handle the old equipment being moved out of the weight room.
- The week of December 4 through December 8, the equipment will be gradually moved out of the weight room to temporary storage on court 1 to prepare for the old flooring to be removed.
- The machines will be OFF LIMITS while stored on court 1, as they are not properly installed, and we do not want to cause damage to the wood floor.
- Power racks, bars, benches & free weights will be available for use in the weight room through Thursday, December 6. There will also be dumbbells available upstairs in MP#2 (room 308).
- The weight room will CLOSE on Friday, December 8, so we can remove remaining functional training equipment.
- Perform Better is tentatively slotted to arrive on Monday, December 11 and they will un-install the remaining large items that are bolted to the floor and begin removing the flooring.
- Perform Better tentatively expects to complete everything (flooring, equipment re-install & new equipment delivery/install) by December 19. We will re-open weight room & court 1 in the rec gym once the install company leaves.
- The 3rd floor will remain open as usual during this time – cardio, track, and MP#2.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Charity Sweeney, the BodyWorks Manager, who is coordinating the weight room project.
The 46,000 square foot Recreation Center addition, which opened in 2002, includes:
- 3 full-size, multi-purpose courts (basketball, volleyball, floor hockey, indoor soccer and other indoor sports)
- A three-lane elevated, banked Jogging/Walking Track
- The two-level fitness center (separate cardio fitness & free weight areas)
- Aerobics studio
- A multi-purpose room
Two outdoor, half-court basketball courts – located behind Spaulding Gym are available for open play use on a first-come, first-serve basis. The courts are to be used only for basketball.
Keene State has four tennis courts of the highest quality. Courts are open for recreational play and also are scheduled for classes. While on the courts, participants must wear tennis shoes with non-marking soles and follow the court rules posted near the court. No activity other than tennis may take place on these courts. Profanity is not permitted while playing tennis.
Athletic and Recreation Fields
Located on the Ashuelot River near the Recreation Center, the athletic and recreation fields are used for general recreation use and for the club sport teams of men’s and women’s rugby, men’s soccer and Ultimate Frisbee for their practices and games.
Sand Volleyball Court
The sand volleyball court is available to be used in a rotation system to allow everyone a chance to play. Newcomers alert players on the court that they are waiting. After a 30-minute wait, the court turns over. The sand volleyball court is located behind Spaulding Gym.
Outdoor Athletic Complex
Located at the College’s Owl Stadium Complex, the outdoor athletic facilities include a lighted Omniturf field for field hockey and lacrosse with seating capacity of 1,300, as well as baseball and softball diamonds, and a lighted grass soccer field.