Skip Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

What kinds of environmental, health and safety (EHS) issues exist at Keene State?

There is a wide range of EHS issues that affect the College. We have a diverse campus population involved in many occupational job situations that require special safety procedures and training. For example, Physical Plant staff need training in OSHA mandated energy control procedures to ensure equipment doesn’t start unexpectedly during repairs. Child Development Staff, Rec Center staff, and Campus Safety need to follow proper procedures (and need training) for potential exposure to bloodbourne pathogens that could happen in the day to day performance of their job duties. Faculty need to know what procedures to follow in handling and managing hazardous waste. These are just a sampling of the types of activities that need EHS support.

In addition, the College operates equipment such as boilers, underground storage tanks and others that require environmental permits through the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Resources. Repairs to old heating pipes may trigger an asbestos abatement project that requires the hiring of special contractors and performance of air monitoring. Oil storage equipment require special procedures and knowledge. Unique projects such as the Science Center move will require additional technical support.

What is Environmental Health and Safety?

Environmental Health and Safety addresses community concerns about issues such as occupational health and safety, laboratory safety, air pollution, water pollution, and hazardous materials in the Keene State environment. We develop programs and policies that meet regulatory requirements and support campus departments in going “beyond compliance” to work as productively as possible while keeping themselves and others safe.

What are my responsibilities for environmental health and safety?

Your primary responsibility is to ask questions. What training do you or your employees need? How do you dispose of hazardous or potentially hazardous materials? What are the hazards of your workspace? What personal protective equipment do you need for your job? If anyone has a safety concern or safety question, there are a number of options:

  • First, report any unsafe conditions or concerns to your supervisor or the person in charge of the area of the hazard.
  • If there is a reason you feel uncomfortable speaking with your supervisor or don’t get an answer that makes sense to you, contact the EHS Coordinator at

Contact Environmental Health and Safety

Julie Kroupa
Environmental Health and Safety Coordinator
☎ 603-358-2859

Elliot Hall
229 Main Street
Keene, New Hampshire 03435-2502