Username and Passwords
KSC usernames allow access to campus owned computers and all KSC resources. New students and employees claim their username through their “Welcome to Keene State College” email that was sent to an alternative email account. Gmail users should check junk mail as it is frequently routed to this mailbox. During the account claiming process, you will setup a username and password, enroll in our Self-Service Password Reset service and will receive a confirmation email with your email address information.
KSC usernames will be used to access KSC owned computers as well as the following technology resources:
- Residential Life and Housing
- Health Services forms
- KSC Wireless Network
- Outlook Web Access
- UNH VPN
ITG Sponsored Guest Account
This account is intended for use by KSC faculty and staff who are sponsoring a guest who need access to campus network resources for a short period of time.
In addition, it is intended for non-campus organizations who are renting or using campus facilities and require access to campus network resources during their stay.
Network resources that may be accessed include, but are not limited to, the ability to login to computers located in SmartCarts, public computing labs, public kiosks, network access in residence halls.
Account requests must be made at least 5 business days prior to the event. Once the account has been created, a HelpDesk technician will contact the sponsor with the NetID and password. To request an account, please complete the ITG Sponsored Account request form.
Changing Username Password
The IT Group requires faculty/staff and students create a new, complex password once per year. An email reminder will be sent 14, 7, 3 and 1 day prior to your password expiration date. Take this time to enroll in the KSC Password Reset Service which will allow you to reset your password before it expires or whenever you need to.
KSC’s Self-Service Password Reset Service allows faculty/staff and students change or recover their username password.
Since KSC usernames are used to access so many resources, it is very important to create a strong, complex password.
KSC’s NetID passwords:
- Can be between 14-64 characters in length.
- Can include any and all keyboard characters, for example: !~ % ^ + * and numbers.
- Can include spaces
- Cannot include your NetID.
- Cannot include your first or last name.
- Cannot use sequences such as: 1234 or abcd.
- Cannot be similar to previously used passwords.
- Cannot be similar to your current password.
Complex Passwords are difficult to guess and are difficult to crack using widely available software. Here are some techniques for building a strong and memorable password:
- Think in terms of using a series of unusual words to build a memorable nonsense phrase or sentence. Using upper and lower case letters, symbols, numbers and spaces makes it even stronger.
- Think of a favorite music lyric and add a few of the following to make it stronger: upper and lower case letters, symbols, numbers or spaces.
Your account/password is your responsibility, and any activity performed while you or someone else has logged in with them is considered your responsibility.