Whether working for a sport organization, an athletic department, a local recreation center, or for a large retail sport chain, Sport and Recreation Management professionals use their professional knowledge and skills to help make recreation and fitness a part of daily life. Keene State College's Bachelor of Science in Sport and Recreation Management offers a unique curriculum with an integrative sport and business management approach. Our goal is to prepare leaders to meet the local and global challenges in sport industry. With interdisciplinary course work in Business Management and Human Performance & Movement Science, our Sport and Recreation Management majors will gain knowledge in business and facility management, marketing & economics, sport & athletic administration, sport law, and diversity & Title IX as it directly impacts sport and recreation. This broad perspective gained will allow our students to qualify for a wide variety of positions within the sport industry. The sport and recreation industries are evolving and opportunities are still growing. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports that workers in the sport industry will see an employment growth of 10 percent during the decade of 2016-2026. Keene State is well prepared to provide students with a great opportunity for an affordable, high quality education to position our graduates for a successful career and job placement in the sport and recreation industries.
Career and Other Opportunities
Career opportunities include a variety of positions that focus on the business & administration of sport. Students with a degree in Sport and Recreation Management are primed to become leaders in areas including community recreation, intercollegiate & interscholastic athletics, youth sport, professional sport, commercial recreation & leisure, and the commercial/retail fitness business sector.
Graduates with a Bachelor of Science in Sport and Recreation Management will be prepared to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the historical foundation of sport as well as the social, psychological, and economic impact of sport.
- Identify and apply foundational theories of leadership, management, and ethics to the sport and recreation industry.
- Identify marketing-related theories, and demonstrate the ability to create a sport marketing plan using aspects of consumer research, promotion, and digital media.
- Demonstrate skills of budgeting, accounting, fundraising, and economic theories as related to the sport and recreation industry.
- Identify specific legal concepts related to business and the sport management profession including legislation, liability, and risk management.
- Demonstrate the ability to plan, create, analyze, and evaluate facilities related to the sport and recreation industry.
- Demonstrate effective communication in a professional setting using skills in technology, public speaking, and written word.
- Demonstrate an understanding of foundational coaching principles and issues related to athletic planning, organizing, recruiting, and staffing in sport.
- Apply critical thinking and problem-solving skills to the sport and recreation management industry.