UNDERWRITER TRAINING PROGRAM
The start date for this program is June 2014.
Our underwriters focus on answering two fundamental questions. Should we write a policy for a particular
customer? What is a fair price for the risk that we would incur by writing the policy? On the surface, these
questions may seem straightforward, but as an underwriter, you will possess a curiosity that propels you to
dig a little deeper for the answers.
You will rely on your strong analytic, communication, and negotiation skills and thrive in a fast-paced,
collaborative environment. Underwriters are natural problem solvers who want to know our customers and
how we can profitably accept the risks that our policies cover.
Our Underwriting training positions offer you the chance to build on your academic success and develop risk
selection and decision making skills that can advance your career.
* Successfully complete Underwriter training program and prescribed courses which include: On the Job
Training, Classroom Instruction, Self-Study, Case Studies, Rating and Underwriting Activities
* Develop judgment to accept, reject or modify new and renewal business for all commercial lines, with
guidance and direction as needed from experienced underwriters or team leader, to ensure a profitable
commercial book of business.
* Price business according to company underwriting and pricing guidelines and ensures standards for
timeliness are met.
* Market the Company products to achieve company growth and profitability targets.
* Develop on-going relationships with internal and external customers and monitor profitability and quality
of submissions, and keeps up-to-date with underwriting and/or product changes.
* Review and becomes familiar with: Policy coverages, Agency relationships, Underwriting and team
guidelines, processes, and procedures, Company business strategy and organization
* Work with a Underwriting Manager, Underwriting staff, and in-house and outside educational providers to
enhance knowledge and experience in: Underwriting Techniques and Decision Making Methods, Problem
Solving Methods, Sales and Negotiating Skills
* 0-2 years of professional experience
* Bachelor's degree with a minimum 3.5 cumulative GPA. Additional requirements may apply
* Willingness to complete professional designation(s) and continued insurance education
* Analytical and demonstrated decisiveness while making quality decisions
* Capability to understand a wide variety of business operations and model loss potential
* Ability to calculate complex pricing recommendations
* Strong customer service orientation
* Demonstrated organization skills and ability
* Effective interpersonal skills including ability to negotiate successfully
* Successful completion of Training Program requiring 30% travel over the first 6 months
To apply online please visit www.libertymutualcampus.com and search for job #48347.
Helping people live safer, more secure lives since 1912, Boston-based Liberty Mutual Group is a diversified global insurer and third largest property and casualty insurer in the U.S. based on A.M. Best Companys report of 2010 net written premium. The Group also ranks 82nd on the Fortune 100 list of largest corporations in the U.S. based on 2010 revenue. As of December 31, 2010, Liberty Mutual Group had $112.4 billion in consolidated assets, $95.4 billion in consolidated liabilities, and $33.2 billion in annual consolidated revenue.
Liberty Mutual Group offers a wide range of insurance products and services, including personal automobile, homeowners, workers compensation, property, commercial automobile, general liability, global specialty, group disability, reinsurance and surety. Liberty Mutual Group (www.libertymutualgroup.com) employs over 45,000 people in more than 900 offices throughout the world.
Academic and Career Advising offers no guarantees about any position posted through this web site and is not responsible for any aspect of resulting employment. Listings on this page do not constitute Keene State College endorsement or affiliation. Students are responsible for gathering all necessary information about the position and the employer.
Local, regional, and national companies and organizations as well as private families wish to recruit you for various openings. These range from part-time positions for pay while you are in school; summer jobs for either experience or pay; internships related to your field of study (paid and unpaid; as well as career opportunities when you are ready to graduate.
Contact Academic and Career Advising
Academic and Career Advising Office
229 Main Street
Keene, New Hampshire 03435