Sample Interview Questions
The following are questions typically asked during an interview. Remember: Interviewers ask open-ended questions and do not want yes or no answers, but rather short, concise, factual, or illustrative answers. Practice, but do not memorize, your responses. Spend some time thinking about the other types of questions an employer in your field of interest might ask.
- What are your long-range and short-range goals and objectives?
- When and why did you establish these goals and how are you preparing yourself to achieve them?
- What specific goals, other than those related to your occupation, have you established for yourself in the next ten years? (tip: try not to get too personal (marriage, kids, home) - try to duscuss interests, personal pursuits, hobbies, general lifetime goals (established in career; balanced between work and personal life)?
- What do you see yourself doing five years from now?
- Why did you choose the career for which your are preparing?
- How has your college experience prepared you for your career?
- Do you have plans for continued study? An advanced degree?
- What led you to choose your field of major study?
- If you could do so, how would you plan your academic study differently? Why?
- How would you describe your ideal job for you after graduation?
- What major problem have you encountered and how did you deal with it?
- What have you learned from your mistakes?
- How do you work under stress?
- What do you consider your greatest strengths and weaknesses?
- How would you describe yourself?
- How do you think a friend or professor would describe you?
- What qualifications do you think will make you successful?
- If you were hiring a graduate for this position, what qualities would you look for?
- Why should I hire you?
- What have you learned from your participation in extracurricular activities?
- What are the most important rewards you expect in your career?
- Which is more important to you, the money or the type of job?
- How do you determine or evaluate success?
- Describe your most rewarding college experiences.
- What motivates you to put forth your best effort?
- Why did you select your college or university?
- What college subjects did you like best? Least? Why?
- What part-time or summer jobs interested you most? Why?
- What two or three things are most important to you in your job?
- Why do you think you might like to live in the community in which our company is located?
- Do you have a geographic preference?
- Are you willing to relocate? Travel?
- Are you seeking employment in a company of a certain size? Why?
- Are you willing to spend at least six months as a trainee?
Contact Academic and Career Advising
Academic and Career Advising Office
229 Main Street
Keene, New Hampshire 03435