Skip Navigation
Students on Fiske Quad

Common Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Why should I live in the residence halls instead of living off campus?

Living on campus is safe, convenient, and exciting. Here are just a few of the benefits:

  • Trained, professional community living staff to assist students
  • Organized social activities
  • Wireless computer network connections in resident’s rooms
  • Live and study with others in your major
  • On-site laundry
  • Close to the library
  • Easy access to recreation facilities and fitness center
  • Short walk to classes and labs
  • Meals prepared by professional chefs

Is there an on-campus living requirement for students?

All students with 59 credits or less are required to live on campus, with the exception of those who live within 30 miles of Keene with a parent or legal guardian. To get an exemption from this requirement, those students who meet the noted criteria must request an exemption - in writing - from the Director of Transitions & Community Living.

Is there on-campus housing for upper-class students?

Absolutely! We have specific housing options for juniors and seniors that meet your needs. Our upper-class housing selection process happens during the academic year.

What types of measures are taken to protect students’ safety?

The safety of our residents is our highest priority. All residential buildings are locked 24 hours a day. Campus Safety officers perform rounds around the campus living areas regularly, and Community Assistants conduct rounds three to four times a night to make sure the doors are secured and to check on the activity level in the building. Each residential area is supervised by a Community Director (CD), who are full-time, live-in professionals able to respond to emergencies if they occur.

In addition, each night a CD is “on-call” to respond to concerns as they arise.

Are halls open during the semester breaks?

All residence halls except for Pondside 2 are closed during Thanksgiving, winter, and spring breaks. Students wishing to stay in the Keene area for these breaks should consider contacting friends living off campus, or one of the local hotels.

Can I stay in on-campus housing for only one semester?

Students starting in the fall semester agree to abide by the “Terms and Conditions of the Residence Hall” contract that binds them financially for the full academic year* (two semesters, August through May). Students starting the spring semester agree to a one-semester contract.

*A student may be released from the housing contract for the following reasons: Withdrawal from Keene State College, transfer from Keene State College, leave of absence, marriage, student teaching beyond a 30-mile commute, studying abroad, or graduation. A student must notify the Transitions & Community Living office by completing the Online Request for Release from Housing Contract form in order to be considered for release from the housing contract.

Can I connect my computer to the Keene State Network from my room?

Every resident’s room is connected to the campus computer network via Eduroam. If students are having trouble connecting to the network they should call The HelpDesk at 603-358-2532 for information regarding “Getting Connected at KSC.”

How do you match new students with roommates and assign rooms?

New students have an opportunity to pick their roommate, building, and room. They go through a housing selection process in June. If a student does not select a room or roommate, they are matched by their requests from their housing application. First-year students can only select first-year buildings which provides them with the opportunity to meet and build bonds with their classmates.

Returning students select their rooms during the spring Housing Selection process.

What if I don’t like my roommate? Can I change rooms?

The answer is a qualified yes. As professionals we realize how difficult it can be to live with someone you don’t know. But we also realize the importance of students learning to broaden their views, to learn about people who do things differently than they do. This is the most important part of a student’s education. Issues of race, religion, sexual orientation, abilities, taste in music, etc., are not viewed as acceptable reasons to change rooms. And we have heard every way these differences can be rationalized into “life or death” situations. Yet the fact still remains that students need to learn to deal with differences, to compromise, and to work through issues.

These are life issues students will face both on campus and off, in both their personal and professional lives. Taking the time to develop these essential skills now will have lasting effects long after students have left college. Though they may not realize it at the time, students can successfully share their space and their lives with someone they do not like. In fact, we often find that students who are friends before they live together don’t stay that way - which is why we recommend that high school friends not room together - and students who do not know each other prior to becoming roommates often develop the best relationships. So, while room changes are possible, they are not automatic. We will work with the students to create an atmosphere of mutual respect and understanding. As a last resort, a room change can be made anytime after the second week of the semester. This two-week rule is in effect so that the Community Directors have time to figure out who has and who has not shown up and what, if any, spaces are available.

Where do I stay if I want to take summer classes?

Students can inquire with the Community Living office if they are taking summer classes and would like to stay on campus.

Should I bring a bicycle to campus?

Many students bring their bicycles to campus and find them handy for going to class and riding in and around the area. Bike racks exist outside each residence hall and at various locations on campus. Campus Safety advises locking bikes to the racks at all times with a high-grade “U-Lock” (i.e. Kryptonite). Bicycles are allowed in residence hall rooms, although they must not block points of entry or egress. In addition, bicycles are not to be hung on hooks or nails in the walls.

How many credits do I have to take in order to live on campus?

Students must be enrolled for a minimum of 12 credits in order to select a room on campus.

Do I need coins or a card to operate the laundry machines?

The cost for laundry is included in the room rate for on-campus students, so there’s no need to stock up on quarters in order to do your wash.

How does the housing selection process work?

Keene State College uses Cbord Housing Management System, Cbord HMS, to house students. This product enables the community living staff to use an automated process to allow students to self-select their own rooms. Students receive information ahead of time with how to select their rooms.

Students are asked to select housing based on their budget as well as their preferences. Prices vary per building due to style and amenities.

How much storage space is available underneath the bed?

Please be aware that the measurements shown are rough measurements and there are slight variations with our beds.

Standard Bed Height

Standard Bed Height
Standard Bed Height: 32" to top of matress; 23" to bottom of frame; 79.5" lengthwise.

Bed Adjusted to Highest Rung

Bed Adjusted to Highest Rung
Bed Adjusted to Highest Rung: 40" to top of matress; 31" to bottom of bed frame; 79.5" lengthwise.

What can or can’t I bring to campus for a residence hall?

Before you run out an buy just anything, make sure it is approved to bring into your residence hall. Stay Tuned, we are updating this list for the Fall 23 semester

Are refrigerator rentals available?

Refrigerator rentals are handled by a third party, Microfridge. A product brochure for fall 2023 will be coming soon!

Contact Community Living

If you have questions about housing services (room assignments, housing contract, damage billing, etc.) and are unable to stop by the office, feel free to e-mail or call us.

Transitions & Community Living
229 Main Street
Keene, New Hampshire 03435

☎ 603-358-2339

Icon of clock Hours of Operation

Monday – Friday:
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Closed on campus holidays.

We're located on the 3rd Floor of the L.P.Young Student Center.