Guidelines for Communications to Students
These guidelines are designed to assist students, faculty and staff with online communication to students, using MyKSC tools and Office 365. MyKSC is a centralized location for many KSC online resources, providing students with access announcements, to personal academic information, e-mail, Canvas login, financial aid, course registration, tuition billing and payments and more.
The institution is committed to developing electronic communications with students. Students are responsible for keeping themselves up-to-date regarding e-mail communications. Notification by e-mail will be considered official contact.”
MyKSC announcements are available to all KSC affiliated departments and students organizations. To request an announcement, use the MyKSC Announcement Request form.
|For Type of Message||Appropriate Medium|
|crisis/urgent items||announcement, broadcast e-mail, news item|
|logistic items||announcement, broadcast e-mail, news item|
|major news||announcement, broadcast e-mail, news item|
|policy and procedural changes*||announcement, news item|
|administrative deadlines*||announcement, news item|
|university system communication||announcement, news item|
* e-mail messages for specific populations may be requested.
Announcements in MyKSC are available to KSC affiliated departments and student organizations. Announcements may contain links to other webpages or attachments
Broadcast E-mail (Office 365)
Broadcast e-mail is for high priority subjects only. Departments who are approved to deliver Broadcast e-mail messages will use Office 365. If your departmental email account does not have broadcast permissions, requests should be submitted for approval to a principal administrator (the president or a vice-president).
Specific Population E-mail
Exception may be made for specific populations for a medium priority message. Requests for messages to specific populations should be submitted using the online form. An e-mail will be sent only once. Keep the message brief, 50 words or fewer when possible. For longer or more complex messages, consider linking to a web page. Do not include graphics or send attachments. Messages should include the sender’s name and affiliation. Use descriptive subject lines, such as “New Process for Fall Course Registration.” Messages should be consistent with guidelines in KSC’s Computer and Network Use Policy.
Appropriate Communication Subjects
High Priority (news item, announcement, broadcast e-mail)
- Crisis/urgent items: natural disaster alerts, mechanical failures, weather closures or delays, crime alerts, health alerts, server maintenance, and computer virus alerts.
- Logistics items: construction closures; traffic routing; environmental alert notices; and security announcements.
- Major news: events such as a national Presidential visit; naming of a new KSC president or vice president, University System of New Hampshire major news items.
Medium Priority (announcement, news item, specific population e-mail)
- Major policy and procedural changes that must be communicated quickly.
- Financial aid and administrative deadlines e.g. budget deadlines, purchasing deadlines.
- Registration information and academic deadlines.
- Communications from the University System of New Hampshire.
Low Priority (announcement)
- Campus Events - see below for appropriate and inappropriate use.
Appropriate Use for Campus Events
- Only events sponsored by officially recognized KSC departments and organizations may be publicized.
- No event should be publicized by more than one Announcement.
- All events should contain a clear subject line that explains the purpose of the announcement.
Inappropriate Use for MyKSC Messages
- Commercial use, e.g., selling a car; renting a cottage; offering music lessons.
- Fundraising, except for officially recognized events such as Alternative Spring Break. Examples of inappropriate use include solicitations for sponsorship, Girl Scout cookie sales, etc.
- Political solicitations.
- Non-campus events, e.g., Colonial Theatre presentations; the Lions Club musical.
- In general, subjects not listed above as appropriate.