Dr. Anne E. Huot
Dr. Anne Huot has dedicated her career to the transformative power of education: to provide students with an educational experience that prepares them for a lifetime of professional opportunities; to contribute to the vitality of the local, regional, and statewide economy, innovation, workforce, culture, and community; and to engage business and community leaders with initiatives that benefit students through real world learning and provide valuable contributions to their enterprise.
Throughout her 26-year experience as a faculty member and senior administrator, Dr. Huot has focused her attention on academic excellence as her highest priority. Her work has been directed toward developing systems and programming that encourage and support student learning and success, and preparation for active citizenship and meaningful careers.
To her role as president of Keene State College, Dr. Huot brings a vision that is informed by her experience as a first generation college student, a native of New Hampshire, and an educator with extensive background in public higher education. She believes passionately in the need for accessibility to higher education for all students and the unique role, mission, and opportunities provided by institutions of public higher education.
Accomplishments at Keene State College
Dr. Huot’s presidency is characterized by a fundamental commitment to student success, a shared stewardship among all college constituencies, and transparency of governance and active participation by all members of the College community. For the past three years, Dr. Huot has worked tirelessly to build Keene State’s reputation as a premier, small, public college committed to the liberal arts mission with a unique blend of professional programs that prepare students for engaged citizenship and professional fulfillment. Her efforts have contributed to a renewed institutional focus on the systems and programs that drive student success:
- Over the past two years, Dr. Huot has led the campus community through a rigorous strategic planning process that is now in the implementation stage.
- Integrating the College’s new strategic plan with the campus master plan for facilities and residential life, Dr. Huot has ensured a comprehensive approach to planning at the College.
- With an increase in fundraising revenue, Dr. Huot has taken an active role in collaboration with the Advancement team in an effort to engage more donors in support to the College’s fundraising priorities.
- Most recently, she has begun to design a sustainable model for enrollment and financial stability that aligns recruitment, retention, residential, and budgetary considerations and that draws on innovative practices and further demonstrates the distinctiveness of the Keene State College educational experience.
- Demonstrating Dr. Huot’s commitment to integrating Keene State students’ academic and residential experience, the College has completed a new 348 bed residence hall that is a model for innovative practice. The building features eleven Living and Learning Communities that are fully subscribed for the entering class of 2016. Additionally, the building exemplifies the College’s commitment to sustainability through energy efficient design and construction.
- Dr. Huot has focused her attention on restructuring the College’s athletic program to more fully support student-athlete development and success and to highlight the College’s enviable position as the premier Division III program in its conference.
- She has initiated a campus-community conversation that acknowledges and builds on the positive relationship between the College, the City of Keene, and the Monadnock Region.
- She has sought out and encouraged leadership at all levels across the campus in both the College’s faculty and staff.
Provost and Vice President The College at Brockport, State University of New York, 2007-2013
In her six-year term as provost and vice president for academic affairs, Dr. Huot successfully created a continuum of academic programming by:
- Enhancing the college’s core academic offerings, allowing the Academic Affairs Division to build on a foundation of institutional strengths that defined areas of distinction;
- Revising the general education program introducing interdisciplinary teaching and learning, critical for best practices and optimal student learning;
- Developing methods of defining student learning and assessing institutional effectiveness, offering important data on strategy and allocating institutional resources;
- Establishing a School of Business and Graduate School, providing programs to support student interest, and enhancing the reputation and stature of the college;
- Creating the Office for Diversity, committing to a strategy and support of diversity in both student and faculty representation that reflects society at large;
- Energizing the strategic planning process to focus on long range institutional goals including the rehabilitation of the academic infrastructure; Cultivating a successful program for recruiting philanthropic gifts to support faculty and student initiatives;
- Building strong relationships with community and business leaders to ensure an academic experience that is relevant and provides students with real world learning opportunities.
Associate Provost, Executive Vice Provost, for the Office of Academic Affairs, State University of New York-System Administration in Albany, 2003-2007
During her five-year tenure at New York’s state system office, Dr. Huot was responsible for:
- Creating and managing state wide initiatives that would ensure a comparable educational experience for all students in public higher education;
- Generating strategic momentum that resulted in raising the level of academic excellence for students in public higher education; Developing opportunities that enhanced accessibility of all students to public higher education.
Interim Dean, Executive Dean of the Graduate College, University of Vermont, 1999-2003
Initiate strategies to promote enhanced graduate level programming for state’s flagship institution
Professor of Biology, Keene State College, 2013
Professor of Biology, The College at Brockport, State University of New York, 2007-2013
Faculty member, College of Health Related Professions, Upstate Medical University, State University of New York, 2003-2007
Faculty member, University of Vermont, 1990-2004
Honors, Scholarly Contributions, Board Service
Dr. Huot is highly regarded for her commitment to excellence in teaching. She has written and presented extensively on her research concerning the influence of nitric oxide on cellular response modification.
Dr. Huot is the 2016 recipient of the University of Vermont College of Medicine Distinguished Graduate Alumni Award. She is a member of the Executive Committee of the Council of Public Liberal Arts Colleges (COPLAC). She serves on the boards of the Monadnock United Way and MoCo Arts.
- PhD Cell and Molecular Biology, University of Vermont
- MS Medical Technology, University of Vermont
- BS Medical Technology, University of New Hampshire