Skip Navigation

Travel Handbook and Procedures

  1. Travel Process
    1. Summary
    2. Responsibility
  2. Making a Reservation
  3. Travel P-card
  4. Schedule Changes / Canceled Reservations
  5. Passenger Check-in Time
  6. Baggage
  7. Transportation: Ground/Transfer
    1. Thomas Transportation:
    2. Adventure Limousine & Transportation:
  8. Renting a Vehicle
  9. Personal Vehicle
  10. Lodging
  11. Travel Advances
  12. Expense Reporting
  13. Non-Reimbursable Travel Expenses
  14. Reimbursable Travel Expenses
  15. Travel Deviations and Exceptions
  16. Contacts
  17. Travel Expense Reference Guide

Travel Process


An individual should not experience a financial gain or loss as a result of KSC business travel. KSC policy is to reimburse reasonable and necessary expenses incurred for authorized KSC travel.


This policy is based on the honesty and integrity of the traveler. Travelers are expected to exercise good judgement when incurring travel costs, regardless of funding source. Business travel expenses will be paid by KSC if they are reasonable, properly authorized, appropriately documented with a well-defined, compelling business purpose, and within the guidelines of this policy. Costs should not be lavish or extravagant, but should be prudent, exercising the fiduciary responsibility entrusted in all KSC employees. No portion of costs associated with personal travel will be paid by KSC. Travelers are responsible for familiarizing themselves and complying with this policy. For example: if a traveler chooses to drive rather than fly to their destination, they will be reimbursed for the least expensive mode of travel. This includes the cost of car rentals, gas, tolls, etc.

KSC MasterCard Program:

  • Traveler contacts KSC approved travel vendor, (Milne or Accent) and makes all his/her arrangements.

The travel agency can reserve hotels & car rentals but the Traveler must use their own credit card upon arrival at the hotel and/or car rental agency. Reimbursement for these expenses is via the USNH Travel Expense form.

  • Travel vendor e-mails itinerary to traveler and purchasing.
  • Traveler forwards to responsible Budget Manager to obtain approval.
  • If Traveler is using Faculty Enhancement money, forwards to Accounts Payable to obtain approval.
  • Please note: The individual traveler cannot approve his/her own travel. The Budget Manager or Faculty Enhancement Manager must always approve an individual's travel documentation.
  • International - traveler obtains vice-president pre-approval and budget manager's approval.
  • If using Faculty Enhancement money, traveler obtains vice-president pre-approval and approval from Accounts Payable. Approvals: Suggested E-Mail Process:
    1. Domestic Travel: Traveler sends itinerary to Budget Manager via e-mail requesting trip approval. Budget Manager forwards the itinerary to Purchasing with approval.
    2. International Travel: Traveler sends itinerary to Vice-President for pre-approval and Budget Manager for approval. Budget Manager and Vice-President reply to Purchasing with approvals.
  • E-Mail must have:
    • Stated Business Purpose of trip
    • FOAPAL - account trip is to be charged to
  • Purchasing can NOT process requests without written (we suggest e-mail) proof of budget approval.
  • Once approval e-mail is received by Purchasing - Purchasing calls in order and sends confirmation e-mail to Traveler.
  • Purchasing will charge the appropriate departmental account electronically.
  • Charge will appear on departmental monthly budget reports.


  • Uses faster, more efficient e-mail communications.
  • Administrative Assistant does not enter any documentation into Banner.

Notes: When the traveler calls the travel agency to make travel arrangements, the following informaton is needed:

  • Date of departure
  • Date of return
  • Originating city
  • Destination city
  • Number of travelers
  • Names of travelers (Airlines require the first, middle and last name)
  • Passenger phone number
  • Transfers to/from the airport
  • Any physical disabilities
  • Excess baggage requirements


Making a Reservation

To make travel arrangements you must contact the KSC approved travel vendor.

Contact Information:

Accent Travel
34-1/2 Washington Street
Keene NH 03431
(603) 352-3003
KSC Account Manager - Pam Bruder

Milne Travel Services
70 Island St
Keene NH 03431
(603) 352-8005
(603) 357-1104
(800) 225-6415
KSC Account Manager - Claire VanWely

When calling the travel agency to book a reservation, please identify yourself as a Keene State College traveler. It is the obligation of each traveler to choose the least expensive air/train costs that are available. Prices can be determined based on the advance notice and availability at the time of inquiry. Most reservations require minimum and maximum stays. The following information will be needed to plan a reservation:

  • Date of departure
  • Date of return
  • Originating city
  • Destination city
  • Number of travelers
  • Names of travelers (Airlines require first, middle and last name)
  • Passenger phone number
  • Car rental
  • Transfers to/from airports
  • Any physical disabilities
  • Excess baggage requirements

Be sure to check your documents immediately to see that there are no errors in your reservations.

Verbal or written quotes are subject to change and do not guarantee the rate until the actual flight is booked by Purchasing. Once ticketing has been finalized, any and all changes are subject to cancellation fees.

Travelers may elect to go on line or use the agency of their choice provided there is no conflict of interest. Travelers at KSC may elect to charge the fare(s) to a personal credit card. Travelers electing to charge fares to a personal credit card will not be reimbursed for the expense until after the trip is completed and approval by the respective dean or vice president. Reimbursement will be made after the trip is completed at the lower of (1) the lowest airfare available or (2) the actual cost.

Travel P-card

KSC Travel Card Program - Individual Travel P-card - Please contact Purchasing for information about this program.

Schedule Changes / Canceled Reservations

If any part of your trip must be canceled or changed, or if you have encountered a delay enroute, it is advisable to contact the travel agency. Airlines do occasionally change flight numbers and times, and it is advisable to reconfirm all departure times within 72 hours before flight time. Should any portion of your ticket be unused it must be returned to the issuing agency for credit.

Passenger Check-in Time

Check in at your airline at least two (2) hours prior to departure for all domestic flights and three (3) hours prior to departure of international flights. Be advised, that for holiday, school vacation travel or peak travel periods, two and a half hours is suggested. Airlines are allowed by law to overbook a flight by up to 30 percent. Early check in will assure you of your seating.


Most domestic flights will charge around $15.00 for the first checked bag and slightly more for the second checked bag per ticketed passenger. The traveler will pay for the charge and be reimbursed when he/she returns to campus. Each bag is not to exceed 70lbs. Should you have excess or oversized luggage, or travel with a large group handling sports equipment, etc...please contact the agency in advance. It is advisable to check with the travel agency or Airline carrier to see if carry on luggage is allowed. If so, one piece of carry on luggage is allowed per ticketed passenger. Maximum size requirements for under seat or overhead storage is 9" x 12" x 23". Baggage insurance is included in our "Ghost Card" booking process. For details, please contact the Purchasing Office

Transportation: Ground/Transfer

Travelers requiring transportation from home to the airport or from the airport to home can make arrangements through Thomas Transportation - 352-5550 ( or Adventure Limousine & Transportation - 357-2933 ( We strongly encourage you to call regarding their rates BEFORE booking your trip as they may change without notifying us.

Thomas Transportation:

Fee is based on the locality of Keene, NH. If transportation is requested from another area, the traveler will be responsible for the additional cost. NOTE: Transportation to/from the airport for early AM and/or late PM flight departures and arrivals can/will be surcharged. They also have private door to door services.

Adventure Limousine & Transportation:

Private Door to Door Service - Pick-up &/Drop-off in Keene, Swanzey, Marlborough (other surrounding towns will based upon distances). Private sedan holding 1-4 passengers - all non-smoking vehicles. Will stop for coffee/quick bite to go while en route. All pricing includes gratuity with no additional costs & no hidden fuel surcharges Same day guarantee for emergency reservations. They also have Park & Ride Services.

Travelers are encouraged to use the most cost efficient means of travel to and from the airport. Most hotels provide transfers from the airport to their hotel. If these services are not available, travelers should make arrangements by either limousine or taxi between the airport and hotel and receipts are required for reimbursements. USNH policy requires that each fare claimed must be itemized and include the point of departure and destination regardless of cost.

Car rentals may be authorized when necessary and practical. Should you need to make car rental reservations, contact Accent or Milne Travel Agencies. They will reserve a car for you and you will use your credit card to pay for the rental costs. When you return from your trip you will get reimbursed.

If travel requires the use of a car rental locally, we have two (2) firms with discounted rental prices that USNH has awarded: U-Save Auto Rental and Enterprise. When renting a vehicle from Enterprise, give them the Keene State Account Number - XZ10KSC and pin number - KEE. The U-Save rental prices are on the KSC Purchasing Website and you can get the Enterprise rental prices at:

Car rentals are limited to sub compact and compact cars except when the number of passengers require a larger car or unless there is a promotion and the larger car is less expensive. Requirements to keep in mind when renting a vehicle are:

  • Driver must be a minimum of 25 years old
  • Drivers over the age of 65 must advise agency
  • Drivers must have a valid drivers license
  • Drivers must have a good driving record
  • Drivers must have a major credit card issued in their name
  • Refueling charges can be excessive if not done prior to rental return
  • Drop off fees can be expensive if rental is not returned to the pick-up location
  • State/local taxes along with airport fees can not be prepaid in advance

Car rentals should be charged against the KSC Travel Pcard or your personal credit card, and the collision damage waiver (CDW) or loss damage waiver (LDW) must be declined. Coverage is included in the U-Save Auto Rental contract Pcard Travel Program. Travelers will not be reimbursed for any charges pertaining to CDW/LDW coverage. Should you wish to apply for a Travel Pcard, contact the Purchasing Office (358-2493). These cards cost nothing to the faculty and staff and part-time coaches who make one or more business trips a year. This card will be canceled upon the termination of employment or because of abuse.

Often, car rental insurance covers drivers only, and any additional drivers who are not business associates must pay the additional fee. Should you contract to accept the CDW/LDW, you will not be reimbursed by KSC for this expense.

There are some overseas exceptions requiring either CDW or a sizable deposit. In this case, a written explanation on the travel expense voucher along with documentation is necessary for reimbursement.

In the event of an accident with a rental car charged to the travelers KSC Travel Pcard number to call 800 number listed with your Pcard information.

Renting a Vehicle

U-Save Auto Rental Cancellation Policy

Effective September 25, 2009, reservations for vehicles that are not cancelled within 48 hours of the booking date will be charged a one day fee at half the daily rate.

The 10 passenger vans will be charged a one day fee at a rate of $120.00.

The Purchasing Offices of the University System of New Hampshire and Keene State College are pleased to announce that we have two firms (2) firms with discounted rental prieces. U-Save Auto Rental is the College's contracted vehicle rental agency and Enterprise for KSC travelers. U-Save Auto Rental is located on Winchester Street near Hamshaw Lumber and Enterprise is located on Main Street near Keene Auto Body. You can reach U-Save at 603-352-7900 or by fax at 603-352-7919 and Enterprise at 603-358-3346 or by fax at 603-358-3481. When you call Enterprise please give them the KSC account Number - XZ10KSC and pin number KEE

Below is the list of rates for U-Save and the Enterprise rates can be found at:

Some contract highlights:

  • Lower rates - (see FY '12 rates below)
  • Larger vans - the 10-person rule still applies but the U-Save vans have front passenger seats
  • KSC employees can rent vehicles for personal business and get contract rates with valid Keene State College ID

U-Save Auto Rental Rate Schedule for USNH Business Use (Effective: 07/01/11-06/30/12)

Car Class Daily Weekly Monthly
Economy $36.00 $190.00 $585.00
Mid-Size $42.00 $210.00 $660.00
Full-Size $47.00 $230.00 $760.00
Minivan $62.00 $330.00 $895.00
SUV $58.00 $325.00 $925.00
10 Passenger Van Monday - Thursday: $120.00; Friday - Saturday: $160.00 $575.00

Business Use-Terms and Conditions

  1. 8% New Hampshire Meals & Room Tax
  2. Rates are valid for all six (6) New England States and New York
  3. Customized rates for trips outside New England States and New York
  4. Mileage is as follows:
    • Daily rates include unlimited miles within New England and New York. When traveling outside New England add $10/day for unlimited miles.
    • Weekly rates for all vehicles include unlimited miles.
    • Monthly rates for all vehicles include 2,500 free miles per month.
    • Additional mileage will be $0.22 cents for each additional mile.
  5. Renters and additional drivers must be a minimum of 18 years of age with a valid driver's license.
  6. U-Save shall provide vehicles with a full tank of gas. Vehicles returned with less than a full tank of gas shall be charged $4.99/gallon.

Personal Vehicle

Mileage Rate Changes

Any reimbursements for travel will be reimbursed at .50 cents per mile.

The USNH Travel Reimbursement Form can be found in Outlook - Public Folders - Banner Finance - User information - Forms Revised for Banner. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact: or

The College reimburses for receipted tolls between Keene and the approved destination. To calculate mileage from any destination you can use Web link: According to USNH policy manual (VIII-A-14, 2-3) private cars used for university business must be covered adequately by the owner for liability insurance protection to the owner. If a KSC traveler elects to drive to a location served by air, only the equivalent reimbursement not to exceed round-trip air coach fare will be allowed. An itemized summary of personal vehicle expense in comparison to airfare, must be included with the travel expense report, in order to identify the most economical transportation. Reimbursement for additional lodging and meals during the period of travel in access of reasonable equivalent air transport will not be approved. Below is a sample list of in-state mileage from KSC.

Location Distance
Bow 50 Miles
Concord 55 Miles
Durham 92 Miles
Hooksett 64 Miles
Manchester 62 Miles
Nashua 60 Miles
Plymouth 80 Miles

Please note that these are miles estimated for one way and your individual mileage may differ. When doing your travel reimbursement, please submit your actual mileage.


All hotel reservations for conferences and conventions must be made by the traveler and charged to his/her KSC Travel Pcard or personal credit card. His/her personal credit card will be reimbursed once the completed and signed travel expense voucher (TEV) has been submitted to accounts payable. Be sure you attach all receipts to your form in order to get a full refund for your travel expenses.

Travel advances are generally not available for hotel expenses. Reimbursement is based upon the least expensive available rate for single occupancy.

Travel Advances


  1. Submit travel advance at least 4 days prior to departure to the Accounts Payable Office.
  2. Show location, (city or country) of destination.
  3. Show date of departure and date of return
  4. Authorized signature (department head, dean,director, etc.) NOTE: for foreign travel the Provost or Vice-President must sign the form.
  5. The person authorizing the trip should also be the person who is responsible for providing the account number being charged for the trip. This same person should approve the Travel Expense Voucher (TEV).
  6. Travelers should settle their travel advance with a Travel Expense Voucher (TEV) submitted to Accounts Payable within 10 days of return of trip. If not settled within 10 days, a reminder will be sent. If there is no response from you within 10 more days, a second and final notice will be sent. Within 30 days of your return, if settlement has not been made, the System will automatically deduct the amount of the advance as a payroll deduction.
  7. Overdue advances are subject to payroll deductions. Should this occur, you will have to report it as a business expense on your income tax return.
  8. Estimate your travel expenses (incidentals) so that only one advance for each trip will be requested. Multiple requests for one trip require submitting a travel expense voucher for each advance.
  9. Keep the goldenrod (last) copy for your records.


Expense Reporting

Original itemized hotel receipts are required to support all lodging expenses claimed; a credit card charge slip alone is not sufficient documentation and will not be accepted. A hotel receipt should indicate the name and location of the hotel and the dates covered. Room charges should be itemized on a daily basis, with taxes included in the room charge. Meals charged on a hotel bill should be itemized separately under daily meal columns of the Travel Expense Voucher form. If meals are charged to the KSC Travel Pcard, then receipts must accompany the charge slips. NOTE: KSC does not reimburse for alcoholic beverages. Phone calls should be itemized under the Miscellaneous column.

USNH Travelers have one option for claiming reimbursements for their own meals on any given trip. They can claim the standard meal allowance. The standard meal allowance per diem may only be used when business related travel involves overnight stays. In most areas, KSC allows $39 as the maximum daily reimbursement for meals, including tax and tip. No receipts are required. For specific allocations, see Partial Days. For certain high cost areas, the IRS has published the maximum standard daily allowance including tax and tips. You should use the U.S. and Foreign on-line Federal per diem rates by accessing the list via the internet at the following address: perdiem . On the Travel Expense Voucher, per diems should be listed, no receipts are required. Payment of per diem requires the traveler to spend one night away from home. Trips that are less than one day in duration do not meet the requirement for per diem reimbursement. For employees not on overnight travel status, the only allowable reimbursements for business lunches are: (1) If a PA has approved the expense in advance of the occasion (as evidenced by his/her signature on a reimbursement request form) (2) for the president, due to the frequent occasions that he/she must take day trips within the state to represent the College off campus and when the meal has a business purpose. Receipts may be submitted when daily meal costs exceed $50, however, the President must approve this exception prior to traveling. For standard and partial allowances see below.

Travel must begin before the following:

  • 6:00am for Breakfast
  • 11:00am for Lunch
  • 5:00pm for Dinner

Full Day Rates: $39, $44, $49, $54, $59, $64

Partial Day Rates: Breakfast at 20% = $8, $9, $10, $11, $12, $13 Lunch at 25% = $10, $11, $12, $13, $15, $16 Dinner at 55% = $21, $24, $27, $30, $32, $35

Per diem rates includes the costs for laundry, cleaning and pressing of clothes as well as fees and tips for service such as waiters and baggage handlers according to IRS regulation 93-21.

The supreme court has accepted the IRS's "away from home" rule which entitles reimbursement for meals because he/she was entitled for a period of rest for a work day of 10 hours or more. Meals included in conference registrations fees are not reimbursable, however, partial day allowances will be applied to those meals not included.

Outside the continental United States, including Alaska and Hawaii the KSC standard meal allowances do not apply. The Business Office and the Office of Sponsored Research have information on per diem amounts published periodically by the United States Department of State. All receipts should be documented according to the foreign exchange rate.

When entertaining official guests, the KSC standard meal allowance does not apply. IRS regulations require original receipts, guest's name, title or other designation indicating his/her business relationship to the traveler; purpose of business, name of place, date and amount. KSC does not reimburse for alcoholic beverages.

The following forms are available in the Business Office, Fiske Annex:

  • Request For Travel Advance
  • Travel Expense Voucher - (Can be found in Public Folders; All Public Folders, Banner Finance, User Information, Forms - Revised for Banner

Non-Reimbursable Travel Expenses

The following items are generally not reimbursable:

  1. Alcholic beverages.
  2. Meals if already included in conference or convention registration fees.
  3. Personal expenses to include giving gifts while on college business.
  4. Personal portion of a car rented for college business.
  5. Personal portion of a trip while on college business. The itinerary invoice from the KSC approved travel agency, Accent or Milne Travel Agencies, is to show only the direct-route amount to be billed to the traveler's department. The agency is to provide a separate invoice for the personal portion of the trip which is paid directly to the travel agency.
  6. Parking tickets and traffic violations.
  7. Repairs and towing of personal vehicles used for college business: these are presumably covered by personal policies and the mileage reimbursement rates.
  8. Life insurance coverage and insurance for rental vehicles.
  9. Spouses and families: Travel expenses for spouses and families are not reimbursable. Exceptions may be made for final interviews of candidates at PA discretion. The appropriate Principal Administrator should notify the Business Office in writing in such instances.
  10. Home movies, theater tickets, newspapers, magazines, personal prescriptions, over-the-counter drugs, etc.
  11. Items such as books and any camera film necessary for KSC business-related travel and purchased while on a trip is considered a supply rather than a travel item. These expenses should be claimed on a petty cash form.
  12. Special events that are optional at additional cost and are not included in conference fees, which are not business related should be considered a personal expense and will not be paid by the College.
  13. Room-service meals. Unusual circumstances requiring room-service must be documented.

Reimbursable Travel Expenses

Beginning January 1, 2011 the current standard IRS and USNH Mileage reimbursement rate for the use of personal vehicles on College business is .51 cents.

Please note: Any reimbursements for travel that occurred in 2010 should continue to use the .50 cents per mile rate.

The following items are generally reimbursable:

  1. Telephone calls necessary for KSC business, transportation, hotel reservations and reasonable contact with one's office and home. These are subject to review by the Business Office.
  2. Gratuities which are included in the meal allowance. These are not to exceed 15%.
  3. Parking and tolls accompanied by receipts with the amounts itemized.
  4. Gas for rental vehicle with proof of purchase as well as copy of the rental agreement.
  5. Purchase of traveler's checks with receipts.
  6. Passports, visas, immunizations, international driving permits and currency reconversion costs.

Travel Expense Vouchers (TEV) with accompanying receipts chronologically arranged, numbered and identified if necessary, as well as appropriate signatures should be submitted to the Business Office within ten days of returning from the trip. Prompt submittal should allow for reimbursement prior to the payment-due date of the credit card bill. Credit card penalty fees resulting from late payments are not reimbursable.

Please bear in mind that employees may be reimbursed for reasonable and necessary expenses if they have been authorized to travel on behalf of Keene State College but excessive expenses may be subject to payment by the employee.

Travel Deviations and Exceptions

Travel arrangements for incoming candidates, lecturers, recruits, etc. must be done through the College's approved travel vendor, Accent or Milne Travel. If travel is arranged with any other agency without first contacting the contracted vendor, he/she will not be reimbursed for the expenses.

Research associates/graduate students on USNH payroll come under the same travel rules as full time employees. Graduate students may require larger travel advances. Car rental information can be obtained through the Purchasing Office.

Full time faculty and staff who have a portion of their itinerary that is personal will be held responsible for these additional amounts. All personal travel payments will be handled between the traveler and the agency directly.

Grants contracts and research agreements have restrictions imposed by agencies (e.g. NSF, USDA). Foreign travel, interview travel and other such expenses charged to these funds should be cleared through the Purchasing Office responsible for administrating them, such as the Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) or the College of Life Sciences and Agriculture.

Should a full time faculty or staff member wish to have a significant other accompany them on their business trip, it would be the responsibility of the traveler to pay the difference. No deduction is allowed for expenses paid or incurred with respect to a spouse, dependent or individual accompanying a person on a business trip unless;

  1. The spouse, dependent or individual is an employee of the person paying or reimbursing the expenses;
  2. The travel of the spouse, dependent or individual is for bonafide business purpose; and
  3. The expenses of the spouse, dependent or other individual would otherwise be a deductible

According to the House Committee Report no inference is intended as to the treatment of these expenses under the prior law. In addition, the provision does not apply to otherwise deductible moving expenses.


For additional information you may contact these offices for the following:

KSC Business Office, Fiske Annex; Matt Kimber - Telephone: 358-2480; e-mail: or Kate McGrath - Telephone: 358-2481; e-mail:

  • Travel Expense Voucher Forms
  • Clarification for reimbursable items
  • Assistance in completing your TEV
  • Status of reimbursement

KSC Purchasing Office, Fiske Annex, Tomasa LaFreniere - Telephone: 358-2494; e-mail: or Renee Harlow - Telephone: 358-2493; e-mail:

Travel Expense Reference Guide


IF your department financing supports reimbursement for additional expenses incurred on your trip you need to complete a travel expense voucher.

UPON completion, this form should be mailed to Accounts Payable (mail stop 1603) within 10 days from your return. This is ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT if you received a travel advance.

FOR those reimbursable items which are allowed beyond the daily per diem, original receipts must be attached and itemized on the travel expense voucher.

FOREIGN travel claims should include 2 columns of figures at the exchange rate and at the US dollar equivalence.

BELOW are some common oversights:

  • Did you double check your math calculations?
  • If applicable did you remember to reference your travel advance amount?
  • Did you remember to assign a Banner account number?
  • Do you have appropriate signature authorization? If you (the traveler) are a department head, the signature of your Principle Administrator is required.
  • If you owe money to Keene State College because your expenses were less than the advance (balance due cashier) then either a check payable to Keene State College, or cash should be brought to Accounts Payable with your completed travel expense voucher. *Did you remember to sign your name at (signature of payee)? This is required even if you don't receive money back.

TO review the Keene State College Manual, please go to our website at If you have any questions please call 603-358-2493. We thank you for following these simple guidelines and hope this information helps you with processing your travel paperwork easily and timely.

Download icon

About this Policy

Travel Handbook and Procedures
Ownership: Purchasing, Jim Draper
Last Revised: April 30, 2012
Categories: Administrative
For questions regarding this policy, please contact the policy owner.