Academic Group Travel: Faculty/Staff-Led/Sponsored
KSC supports and encourages Faculty and Staff to engage the KSC Academic community in off campus travel when these programs are offered in furtherance of KSC’s mission.
Considerations & Concerns
Keene State College supports and encourages off campus travel as a learning tool. With each trip, comes responsibility. The responsibility of the College is to make sure that the trip is as safe as possible for all participants. The faculty and other employees who are carrying out these programs are doing so as agents of KSC and as such they have a duty to be reasonably careful in offering, overseeing, and executing class trips, study away programs, and other off-campus events.
KSC Academic Group Travel is defined as follows:
- The event is funded in any part by Keene State College
- The travel has an interaction with a KSC academic program
- The travel is undertaken under the scope, direction or election of a department, class, college office, study away program, faculty member or their representatives.
Guidelines for Travel Approval Process
The following are guidelines to be considered when proposing a trip (definition above). No travel will be considered approved or connected to Keene State College and no college funds may be used or reimbursed without going through the appropriate approval process.
Designated Trip Approvers * - Academic Group Travel, Faculty/Staff Led/Sponsored:
Approval lies within the KSC Schools with the following individuals:
- For course-based or faculty-sponsored travel: Dean of the School through which the course is offered or where the faculty member is located. *
* Any Honors course with the prefix HNRS (only) will have its approval handled by the Associate Provost.
- Academic Affairs (not course-based or faculty-sponsored) – Assistant Vice President for Academic Affairs
Please NoteIf the trip proposer is also the trip approver for an activity/event, the trip proposer’s supervisor shall serve as the trip approver.
If the trip proposer is also the trip approver for an activity/event, the trip proposer’s supervisor shall serve as the trip approver Please note that greater travel distances and lengths of trips will take longer to flow through the approval process. Those planning a trip will need to build enough time into their planning to ensure sufficient processing time.
- No later than 5 days prior to departure for travel in-state
- No later than 10 days prior to departure for out of state
- No later than 3 months prior to departure for international trips
Persons with disabilities are entitled to participate in the most integrated settings possible. If a trip or special program is conducted, accommodations must be offered. If the trip includes transportation for students going on a field trip, accessible transportation for students with disabilities must be offered.
Does Your Proposed Activity Meet the KSC Definition of a Trip?
If No – no further action is required.
If Yes, please complete the required forms below.
Form 1: Online Academic Group Travel Request Form
Complete and Submit the Online Academic Group Travel Request Form
The KSC Trip Approver shall review the form and approve, disapprove or contact you to answer any issues or concerns with your proposed trip.
Form 2: Liability Waiver Form
Each student member of the trip must also complete the Liability Waiver form – this is course/event specific so in the activity section at the bottom of the form – all one needs to do is put in their course number/event and all trips for this course/activity are taken care of for the waiver requirement.
Form 3: Participant Form
All trips sponsors should complete the participant form .
Form 4: Personal Use Vehicle Form
All students, faculty and staff who drive their own vehicles for KSC sponsored travel need to complete the Personal Use Vehicle Form – Participants only need to complete it once for the duration of their enrollment/employment at KSC.