Student Conference Fund
Andrew Abeleira: the First KSC Student to Present at an International Scientific Conference
Purpose: The Student Conference Fund provides financial support for students attending and/or presenting at professional conferences with the goal of enriching students' academic experiences.
The Student Conference Fund promotes student research and scholarship and professional interests and growth. Students applying for funding must have a faculty or staff member submit an application to the Student Conference Fund Selection Committee. If the proposal is for a group of students to attend a professional conference one application is submitted with the names of all students provided.
Committee members include two members from honor societies; two members from the Student Assembly; a faculty member from each School and the Associate Provost.
Contributors to the Student Conference Fund include:
Criteria for Requesting Funding
- Applications must be submitted at least one month in advance of the conference. Applications may be submitted by individual students who wish to present at or attend an academic or professional conference or by student leaders or a faculty sponsor when the proposal involves more than one student attending a conference. All applications must be supported by a faculty sponsor.
- Funds will be available for fall, spring, and summer sessions.
- The Student Conference Fund Selection Committee will give priority to proposals which have a clear relationship to, and have the potential for, furthering the student's academic and professional goals.
- The SCF will support one presentation per student per year; if funding is available, additional funding may be available for a second presentation by the same student.
- The committee will make every effort to support, with some funding, all requests for students attending professional conferences. The committee will take into account the total cost per student and the location of the conference when making decisions. The maximum awarded to groups of 5 or more students typically will not exceed $1000.
- Funding is dependent on all travel policies being adhered to including final approval from the appropriate dean or administrator. No funding will occur until the Associate Provost's Office (Donna Ward) has been notified that the dean or appropriate administrator has given final approval for travel.
- In your pre-approval request to the dean, be sure to check the HSF as the "Secondary Trip Sponsor in the box that reads "Please list any other trip sponsors including all KSC funding sources".
- The committee will attempt to fully fund (registration, transportation, lodging) requests from students presenting at conferences. Funding, however, is based on the location of the conference and funds available at the time of the request.
- Students are expected to share some of the expenses of the conference and to indicate, in the proposed budget, what their share is. If there is more than one student, the budget must show what each student is contributing.
- Food or gas is typically not funded. Exceptions depend on the proposal.
- The fund will contribute no more than two nights of lodging.
- Applicants will be informed of funding decisions no later than two weeks after the application has been submitted.
- Applicants who are awarded funds must contact Donna Ward to ensure the accuracy and appropriateness of the final budget and to make arrangements regarding funding.
Proposals are Rated According to the Following Criteria:
- Relevance to the student's academic and/or professional development.
- Clarity of the proposal.
- Accuracy and documentation of the budget (including an explanation of the sources of other funds that will be used to support the project).
- A narrative explaining the relationship of the conference to the students' academic and professional development, and identifying how students will use or disseminate information and knowledge obtained at the conference.
Individual and Group Application
For more information contact