Desk Attendant Job Description
The primary duty of the Desk Attendant is to ensure that access to the residence halls is only provided to authorized individuals. A secondary function of this position is to serve as a communication center during any emergency situations that arise in the halls.
Specific duties include:
- Greeting and checking the identification of all individuals who enter the building. These checks will be performed from the front desk or other position designated by the program coordinator. During a shift the Desk Attendant is only to leave this area to perform building tours or to respond to an emergency instruction.
- Checking the access points of their building every hour starting at 8:00 P.M. and continuing through 2:00 A.M. (3:00 A.M. if working a Thursday, Friday or Saturday shift.)
- Desk Attendants are expected to notify the appropriate College official of any and all unusual situations. They are not to confront beyond asking someone to leave the building.
- Completing all sections of the appropriate duty log before leaving their shift.
- Keeping the front desk area in a neat and orderly fashion.
- Answering the desk phone using an appropriate amount of professionalism. The Desk Attendant should pass along all messages to the appropriate person if possible. In addition, the Desk Attendant is responsible for monitoring the use of the desk phone for emergency and business use only.
- Signing out hall equipment to authorized residents under the terms and conditions of the Residence hall council and with the approval the building/area director and the approval of their direct supervisor.
- Providing referral information and emergency instructions to all guests and residents.
- Assisting the Residence hall staff in handling emergencies. They will follow all instructions issued by College or City officials.
- Meeting one-on-one with the program coordinator once each semester.
- Attending one training session per semester.
- The Office of Residential Life and Housing Services is an equal opportunity employer.
- All applicants for the Desk Attendant position must have vision (corrected or uncorrected) that will allow them to distinguish one person from another at 30 feet and they must be able to read a picture I.D. presented to them.
- They must be able to work late shifts without falling asleep and sit at a desk for long periods of time.
- Applicants must maintain a 2.0 cumulative grade point average.
- They must be in good judicial standing.
- They may not have a previous conviction for any felony or misdemeanor (with the exception of traffic violations).
- Previous experience in building security, law enforcement, confrontation/conflict management or facility management is helpful but not required.