Animals in Research (IACUC)
KSC Animal Welfare Policy
Keene State College complies with federal regulations regarding the care and use of laboratory animals, as set forth by the Animal Welfare Act and the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals. The KSC Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) is the body charged with the review and approval of all research involving animals. Faculty and students wishing to conduct animal research must seek approval prior to initiating the research. To prepare a request, download this form to your computer, complete it, and then submit it via email attachment to the IACUC.
The following topics will be considered in the preparation and review of animal care and use protocols:
- Rationale and purpose of the proposed use of animals
- Justification of the species and number of animals requested. Whenever possible, the number of animals requested should be justified statistically
- Availability or appropriateness of the use of less-invasive procedures, other species, isolated organ preparation, cell or tissue culture, or computer simulation (see Guide, Appendix A, "Alternatives")
- Adequacy of training and experience of personnel in the procedures used
- Unusual housing and husbandry requirements
- Appropriate sedation, analgesia, and anesthesia. (Scales of pain or invasiveness might aid in the preparation and review of protocols; see Appendix A, "Anesthesia, Pain and Surgery.")
- Unnecessary duplication of experiments
- Conduct of multiple major operative procedures
- Criteria and process for timely intervention, removal of animals from a study, or euthanasia if painful or stressful outcomes are anticipated
- Postprocedure care
- Method of euthanasia or disposition of animal
- Safety of working environment for personnel
Please note that, per Keene State College policy, all individuals conducting research with vertebrate animals must complete the online CITI Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) training module. No IACUC protocols will be approved without proof of satisfactory completion of the training module. Please submit your training certificate to the IACUC chair with your protocol materials. For instructions on accessing the CITI animal training module, please visit our CITI page.
I still have questions. Whom can I contact?
Research Integrity Specialist
Office of Sponsored Projects & Research
Dr. Scott Strong
Science Center 328