Skip Navigation

Admissions Policies

Applying to college can be overwhelming and we want to make the process easier for you. Whether you’re a freshman, transfer, veteran or international student, you are assigned an admissions counselor to answer your questions and help you along the way. Now is the best time to apply to Keene State! The sooner we receive your application and all supporting documents, the sooner you’ll get a decision, which allows you to narrow down your college choices and begin the financial aid process earlier.

  • Freshman and Transfer students can apply online using either the Keene State Application or the Common Application¹
  • Transfer students currently enrolled at a NH community college apply using NHTransfer


Applying for Admission

First-Year or High School Applicants

  • Complete and submit either the Keene State Application¹ or the Common Application¹ You only need to submit one to be considered for admission.
  • Submit the $50 application fee with your application
  • Submit your official high school transcripts
  • SAT/ACT is optional for all students
  • Complete the FAFSA² and ask that your ISIR be shared with KSC. Our FAFSA number is 002590
  • Letter of recommendation encouraged but not required.
  • Residency Statement – New Hampshire residents that have been offered admission to KSC will be required to submit a notarized residency statement after May 1.


Home-Schooled Applicants

-Complete and submit either the Keene State Application¹ or the Common Application¹ You only need to submit one to be considered for admission -Submit the $50 application fee with your application -Documentation of completion of high school studies in the form of a final transcript, High School Equivalency Test (HSE), General Equivalency Diploma (GED) or certificate of completion from a local school district or state board of education. If your program does not provide a diploma, please call the KSC Admissions office. -SAT/ACT is optional for all students -Complete the FAFSA² and ask that your ISIR be shared with KSC. Our FAFSA number is 002590


Transfer Students

  • Complete and submit the Transfer Application¹
  • Students currently enrolled at one of the seven NH community colleges complete and submit the Transfer Connections Application²
  • Submit official final high school transcript
  • Submit all official college transcripts
  • Submit Confidential Recommendation Form¹
  • Complete the FAFSA³ and ask that your ISIR be shared with KSC. Our FAFSA number is 002590
  • Review information regarding transfer of credit at keene.edu⁴

¹ ,>


  • If you are a first-time Freshman, complete and submit either the Keene State Application¹ or the Common Application¹ You only need to submit one to be considered for admission.
  • If you are a transfer student, complete and submit the Transfer Application¹
  • Submit official final high school transcript
  • If you are transferring to KSC, submit all official college transcripts and the Confidential Recommendation Form²
  • Complete the FAFSA³ and ask that your ISIR be shared with KSC. Our FAFSA number is 002590
  • Review information regarding Veterans Education Benefits⁴


International Students

Keene State College welcomes well-qualified students from outside of the United States. Most international students enter Keene State with some academic credit from their home institutions. Transfer credit - including final years of secondary schooling - may be granted after a determination of the type of institution involved in its recognition by the educational authorities in the home country, and an evaluation of the content, level, and comparability of the study of courses and programs at Keene State.

A complete application for an international student requires the following:

  • A completed application using the common application
  • Official copies of secondary and postsecondary academic records with official English translations, when necessary, including:
    • Transcripts/marks sheets/grade reports of all course works completed with grades or marks for each course indicated
    • A course-by-course evaluation of international educational credentials completed by a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, Inc. A list is available from the Office of National and International Exchange, 603-258-2348.
  • For students whose primary language of instruction is not English: Demonstrated proof of language proficiency can either be established by on-campus interviews, or successful completion of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with total scores of 550 or above on the paper based or 213 on the computer-based test or 80 (internet version) for undergraduates. TOEFL information is available at American embassies and consulates, offices of the U.S. International Communications agency, U.S. education commissions, foundations, and binational centers, or by writing to TOEFL, Box 899, Princeton, NJ 08541. Keene State also accepts the IELTS International English Language Testing System English Language proficiency examination in lieu of TOEFL; the minimum acceptable proficiency grade is 6.5. IELTS scores must be sent directly from the testing agency.
  • Documentation of financial support. Applicants must complete the Certification of Finances¹ as well as submit a certified bank statement that funds are available. The demonstrated level of support, not only covers tuition, room and board, but also for living expenses (pocket money, books, etc.), is necessary.

Readmission Requirements

Matriculated students who have voluntarily withdrawn from the College, or have been separated from the College due to academic or disciplinary suspension, must apply for readmission. Students on an official leave of absence do not need to request readmission. Students seeking readmission will be subject to the catalog requirements and academic standards for the academic year they are readmitted to the College. The Admissions Office will provide advisement for students on the correct procedures for readmission.

Criteria for Readmission

Admissions will consider academic, financial, and personal criteria prior to granting or denying readmission. Students who left the College in good personal and academic standing, and have not jeopardized their status during their absence, should not experience difficulty in being readmitted.

For students attempting to return after academic suspension, the following minimum criteria form the basis for a decision on readmission but do not imply that readmission is automatic:

  • Have completed at least two courses with a minimum grade of C in each course and a minimum cumulative average of 2.0 in liberal arts courses since separation.
  • Have no outstanding financial obligation to the College at the time of application for readmission.
  • Be able to provide evidence of personal responsibility as a student at Keene State College and the community at large.
  • If under a 2.0, the student must provide an academic plan for success as part of the readmission process.

Two academic options - the New Start Program and the Continuation Program - are available to students who seek readmission.

New Start Program

After a break of at least one full academic semester, a student who is not in good academic standing may seek readmission to the College under the New Start Program. Only students with a cumulative grade point average of below 2.0 are eligible for New Start. Students readmitted under the New Start Program essentially discard their previous cumulative averages. All courses and grades will be retained on the permanent transcript, but records will carry forward only credits, not grades, from previous course work that received a grade of C or better.

No minimum grade point average is required for readmission under the New Start Program. Grades earned at Keene State College prior to matriculation are not included in the computation of the student’s cumulative grade point average. Once readmitted, a student must achieve the minimum grade point average appropriate to his or her current standing.

A student may elect the New Start Program only one time and must do so at the time of application for readmission.

A nonmatriculated, continuing education student who has completed course work at Keene State College may elect to be admitted under the New Start Program.

Continuation Program

Students readmitted under the Continuation Program begin where they left off in terms of cumulative averages earned during previous academic work at Keene State.

In an effort to raise their cumulative averages, students may elect to use the “forgiveness policy,” which allows them to repeat courses once in which grades of C- or less were received. Only the last grade received will be used in calculating the cumulative average. If a student repeats courses at another college or university, that institution must be regionally accredited, and the student must earn a grade of C or higher in the course(s) to be transferred. Keene State College will accept only the credit earned, not the grade. The original grade earned at Keene State will remain on the permanent transcript, but will not be included in the calculation of the cumulative grade point average. The student is responsible for reviewing, in advance, the content of any course to be repeated at another institution to determine whether the course is acceptable as equal under the forgiveness policy. The appropriate discipline coordinator should be consulted to assist in the determination of course equivalency.

New England Regional Student Program

Keene State College participates in a regional cooperative program, administered by the New England Board of Higher Education, which permits qualified, matriculated New England residents to study with reduced tuition and admission privileges in certain programs at other state colleges and universities.

This program expands higher education opportunities for New Englanders by making available to all residents on an equal basis majors or courses not commonly offered at every institution, thus reducing duplication of programs and utilizing more efficiently the higher education facilities for each state.

New England Regional entering matriculated students may request participation in or be identified as an eligible participant in NERSP at the time of matriculation to the College. An “Intent to Participate” form is available in the Admissions Office and will be mailed to eligible students. In addition, the student must submit a “Declaration of Major” form identifying one of the Keene State College eligible programs during the first six weeks of school. These forms are available at Academic and Career Advising.

Bachelors Degree Programs Available to Residents of
B.A. Holocaust and Genocide Studies CT, MA, ME, RI, VT
B.S. Sustainable Product Design and Innovation CT, MA, ME, RI, VT

Information about this program may be obtained from the Admissions or Academic and Career Advising Offices, high school guidance counselors, or

New England Board of Higher Education
45 Temple Place, Boston, MA 02111

Art Applicants

Starting in the Academic Year 2017-18 students are no longer required to submit a portfolio to be admitted into the Bachelor of Arts program in Studio Art or Graphic Design.

There are portfolio reviews for admittance into the Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in the sophomore year for Graphic Design and in the junior year Studio Art. Students who wish to pursue in the B.F.A. in Art & Design must participate in both the Graphic Design and Studio Art portfolio reviews.

Music Applicants

Music candidates: If you are interested in the Bachelor of Music degree in either performance or music education or the Bachelor of Arts degree with any of the music specializations, or if you are interested in a minor in music, admission is a two-step process.

  • Complete either the Keene State Application¹ or the Common Application¹
  • Arrange for an audition. For more information or to schedule an audition, please contact the Music Department at 603-358-2177 or e-mail

Admission to the music program does not guarantee admission to the College, and, conversely, non-admission to the music program does not mean that you cannot be admitted to the College.


The college considers students who have previously applied for deferred admissions. This enables students to reserve a space while taking time off from school for work or travel. Requests for deferrals must be put in writing and sent to the Admissions Office at Enrollment Deposits can be carried forward and applied to the following semester or year.