This interdisciplinary minor prepares students to use data analysis within their careers. Students will develop their skills to evaluate and interpret data in order to make better-informed decisions. In addition, students will develop their visualization and communication skills. The minor’s selective elective courses provide an opportunity to apply the data analytic skills in a specific area of related interest.
Foundational Statistics Course
- MATH 141 Introductory Statistics
- MATH 175 Data Analysis for Teachers
- MGT 140 Quantitative Decision-Making
- PSYC 251 Psychological Statistics
A grade of C or higher is required for the Foundational Statistics Course
Data Analytics Core Courses
The following courses provide a foundational set of tools, analysis techniques, visualization, practice problem solving.
IIPHYS 342 Data Analysis for Scientists
ISMGT 383 Applied Data Analysis & Vis.
Choose one course from each cluster.
Methods and Tools Cluster:
These courses develop a deeper understanding of techniques and methodologies used in various disciplines for computational background, data acquisition and preliminary analysis.
- BIO 313 Population & Community Ecology
- COMM 472 Quantitative and Qualitative Methods
- ECON 370 Financial Economics
- ENST 301 Environmental Research Methods
- GEOG 324 GIS Analysis
- ISCS 210 Python Programming
- ISPH 285 Health in Society
- PH 305 Epidemiology
- PSYC 252 Research Methods in Psychology
- SOC 301 Sociological Research Methods
Active Experimentation Cluster:
These courses use data analysis techniques to focus on problem solving, interpretation, and implementation of scientific decision making.
- BIO 468 Genomic Bioinformatics
- CHEM 251 Quantitative Analysis
- CS 480 Machine Learning
- ECON 420 Econometrics
- HP 460 Research Methods in Human Movement
- ISCS 380 Digital Image Processing
- MATH 242 Applied Statistics
- MATH 362 Math Modeling and Computing
- MGT 434 Marketing Research
- SOC 303 Sociological Quantitative Analysis
- SPDI 410 Mechatronics and Automation course
Portfolio & Career Course
MGT 384 Data Analytics Portfolio Plus