Skip Navigation

Veterans Services Information

The Student Accouints Office Veteran's Certifying Official assists students in receiving their VA educational assistance entitlement. Enrollment certifications are completed by this office and reported to the appropriate VA regional office (Buffalo, NY). You may contact the Certifying Official Robyn Lucious ( if you have any questions.

Applying for Educational Benefits or Changes in Enrollment Status

For information on how to apply for educational benefits, or changes in enrollment status, please contact the Veteran's Certifying Official at (603) 358-2886 or stop by the Student Accounts Office. You may check the status of your benefits by visiting the VA Educational Benefits Home Page, or calling the automated phone system at 1-888-GIBILL1. This allows you to check your status with the VA, 24 hours/day.

USNH policy addresses Section 702 of the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014 ("Choice Act") regarding military residency requirements in Board of Trustees Financial Policies, subsection E, Classification of Students for Tuition Purposes (Residency Rules):

(10.1) A member of the Armed Forces of the United States stationed in this state under military orders shall be entitled to classification for himself/herself, spouse and dependent children as in-state for tuition purposes so long as the member remains on active duty in this state pursuant to such orders.

(10.2) Individuals receiving educational assistance under 38 U.S.C. § 3001 et seq. or 38 U.S.C. § 3301 et seq., including children or spouses of active service members or veterans eligible for educational assistance under 38 U.S.C. § 3311(b)(9) or 38 U.S.C. § 3319, shall be eligible for the in-state rate while living in this state.

Please be aware that we are required by law to notify the VA whenever a change in enrollment affects your enrollment status. This will most likely affect your VA payments.

Instructions for Receiving Educational Benefits

First-time veteran students should:

  1. Complete VA Form 22-1990 (application for educational benefits). This should be done at the earliest possible time after you have been accepted to Keene State College. It may take 6 to 8 weeks for your claim to be processed, so file as early as possible. If you have already applied for the benefits, please provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility, issued by the VA, to the Veteran's Certifying Official.
  2. Provide a copy of your separation papers, DD214 (active duty) or an original "Notice of Basic Eligibility" from your reserve unit (reservists), or, if you have already applied for the benefits, please provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility, issued by the VA.
  3. Veteran's Dependents applying for educational benefits need to complete form 22-5490 (Application for Survivors' & Dependents' Educational Assistance), and submit to the certifying official.
  4. For Veteran's Educational Benefits financial aid process information contact the Financial Aid Office at 800-572-1909 or 603-358-2280, Fax: 603-358-2794.
  5. Contact the Veteran's Certifying Official in the Student Accounts Office at (603) 358-2886 for assistance in obtaining or filing the forms.