Environmental Literacy and Academics
Where are we now?
- Environmental Studies Department established in 2009 (major established in 1979)
- Sustainable Product Design and Innovation (SPEDI) program major established in 2009
- Strong Campus Ecology student group
- President's Council for a Sustainable Future established in 1996
- Architecture programs with green bulding focus
- 2011 Symposium focus: "What Sustains Us"
- Early Sprouts program teaching gardening and nutrition to pre-schoolers
- Holocaust and Genocide major established in 2009
- Eco-Reps peer to peer education program established in 2007
Where do we want to be?
- Continued and increased partnerships with the City of Keene, Antioch NE Graduate School, Keene High School and other local resources
- Increased student involvement with local and regional issues related to Sustainability
- Additional Integrated Studies courses related to Sustainability
- Use of the Sustainability Tracking, Assessment and Rating System (STARS) to assess current state of teaching related to sustainability on campus
How do we get there?
- Service learning/experiential learning opportunities
- Partnership with CELT (Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching)
- Additional cross disciplinary involvement
- new TDS (Technology, Design and Safety) building with a net zero energy goal
- STARS assessment due September 2011