Mr. Atkins began to serve as Keene State College VP for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management on June 30, 2014. He brings 19 years of experience and leadership to his post. For the past four years, Mr. Atkins served as vice president for student affairs and Title IX coordinator at Delaware State University. In this role, Mr. Atkins provided leadership in the areas of student learning and outcomes, student recruitment and retention, staff development, crisis management and Title IX compliance, among many others.
Highlights of Mr. Atkins’s accomplishments at Delaware State University include:
- Redesigning student affairs division to improve operational effectiveness
- Establishing the University’s Title IX Office
- Establishing staff development programs to provide student affairs staff with opportunities to learn new skills and knowledge
- Creating and implementing policies and programs that improved campus safety
- Establishing policies and implemented programs that improved recruitment and retention of students especially underrepresented populations
- Creating a Student Employment Office which improved the student hiring process and provided professional development to student employees
- Leading efforts to expand programs and services in the Office of Career Services
- Redesigning and expanding freshman Living Learning Communities including the construction of smart classrooms in two residence halls
- Creating the Student Affairs Assessment Committee to focus on student learning outcomes
- Leading technology developments and enhancements
- Expanding Student Leadership Development Programs, which resulted in a 20 percent increase in student candidates for student organization leadership positions
In 2008 and 2009, Mr. Atkins served as vice provost for student affairs at East Carolina University, Greenville. Mr. Atkins led initiatives in college access, academic and student affairs with The University of North Carolina General Administration from 2001 to 2008. Prior to this role, Mr. Atkins served as director of ThinkCOLLEGE, taught as an adjunct faculty member at Central Piedmont Community College in Charlotte, NC and served as assistant director of undergraduate admissions with East Carolina University.
Mr. Atkins earned a BA and MA in English Literature at Appalachian State University, and will complete an EdD in Educational Leadership this summer.