Adjunct Faculty Development Grants
- General Information
- Committee Membership
- Eligible Applicants & Eligible Activities
- Proposal Submission Guidelines
- Proposals including Travel
- Post-Award Requirements & Administration
Keene State College recognizes the vital role adjunct faculty play on our campus. Through the collective bargaining agreement between the KSCAA and the University System of New Hampshire, KSC offers $15,000 in grant awards for eligible adjunct faculty development annually. For adjunct faculty with 5-29 semesters of service, the maximum award amount is $800.
In addition, the most recent KSCAA contract provides additional matching funds (separate from the $15,000 pool) for adjunct faculty with 30+ semesters of service at the College. These matching funds are intended to increase the possible award size for these senior adjuncts without further depleting the $10,000 pool. Upon successful application, awards made to these senior adjuncts will automatically be funded in equal parts from the two sources, up to a maximum of $1,600 per award (total from both sources).
Three members of the KSCAA will serve on the committee and determine grant awards and make policy recommendations regarding the fund. The Office of Sponsored Projects & Research will facilitate the committee process; OSPR staff will not vote on proposals.
The voting member for 2014-2015 are:
Deborah Doubleday, Communication (8-8888 x4138)
Betsy Dubois, Education (8-2307)
Rodger Martin, Journalism (8-8888 x4313)
Eligible Applicants & Eligible Activities
- All adjunct faculty with 5 or more semesters of service are eligible to apply.
- Adjunct faculty with 5-29 semesters of service may apply for up to $800.
- Adjunct faculty with 30+ semesters of service may apply for up to $1,600.
- Eligible adjunct faculty are welcome to apply for Adjunct Professional Development funds at any time, however typically faculty may only receive one award per fiscal year.
- Awarded funds must be spent and accounted for through the KSC Business Office within the 2014-2015 fiscal year (requests for reimbursements must be submitted by June 15, 2015).
- Activities that will directly impact the faculty member’s KSC courses, their content, pedagogy or assessment.
- Such activities may include attendance at conferences, lectures, workshops or other training opportunities at KSC or elsewhere, or travel to engage in scholarly activities.
- These professional development activities must be clearly connected to classes taught or collaboration undertaken on the campus of KSC.
- Projects involving curriculum development are not eligible for Adjunct Faculty Development Grant funds. In such cases, faculty are advised to contact their department Chair and Dean for financial support.
- Except in the case of participation in on-campus activities where a stipend is being requested, all activities must take place after the date of the award. Applications for retroactive activities cannot be accepted.
Proposal Submission Guidelines
Grant proposals for off-campus projects should be submitted using the Adjunct Faculty Grant Application Form. This form is designed to help you provide the necessary information in the required format. To assist faculty in their proposal preparation, a copy of the Adjunct Faculty Development Grant Proposal Review Format is available for review. This document is used by the Committee to review each proposal submitted. Please note:All compliance requirements (i.e. IRB approval, IACUC approval and compliance training) that might be related to the proposal need not be complete by the submission of the proposal, but must be complete prior to the receipt of any grant award.
For on-campus projects where a stipend is being requested, please use the On-Campus Adjunct Faculty Grant Application Form.
Please download the appropriate form to your computer before completing the application. If you have difficulty accessing either form, please contact Susan Ericson-West. Proposals will be reviewed throughout the academic year on a rolling submission basis. For proposals submitted during the academic year, faculty will receive a response to their application typically within 7-10 days of submission. For proposals submitted during the summer, adjunct faculty should allow a minimum of 2-3 weeks for Committee response.
To assist you in the preparation of your proposal application several resources are available. These resources include:
- a brief 12 minute webinar on how to prepare a competitive Adjunct Faculty Development grant proposal
- a copy of the Adjunct Faculty Development grant Proposal Review Format. This document will be used by the Committee to review each proposal submitted.
Proposals including Travel
- As per KSC Purchasing and Travel policy, check with the KSC contracted vendors for price quotes for travel:
- Accent Travel - Pam Bruder, KSC Account Manager (603) 352-3003
- Milne Travel Services (603) 357-1104 - Individuals on KSC Business (800) 225-6415 - Toll free number
- Faculty are also encouraged to check the Purchasing Office's Travel website for current information on mileage rates and travel regulations.
Post-Award Requirements & Administration
- All equipment and supplies purchased with Adjunct Faculty Development Funds become the property of the College and must relate directly to and/or be consumed by the project.
- Once awards have been granted, faculty can access their funds one week from the date of award.
- Projects must be completed and funds expended and accounted for through the Business Office within the 2014-2015 fiscal year (requests for reimbursements must be submitted by June 15, 2015).
- Grant recipients are encouraged to disseminate the results of the project to the campus community.
For Additional Information Contact Susan Ericson-West, Office of Sponsored Projects & Research (603-358-2046)