Connect Windows XP Pro to the KSC Network
- Click START, select Control Panel, select Classic View in the upper left corner.
- Double-click the Network Connections icon to open the Network Connections window. In the Network Connections window, right-click on the Local Area Connection icon and select Properties from the drop-down menu.
- You are now at the Local Area Connection Properties window, which lists the different services and network protocols that are installed for use by your Ethernet adapter. The adapter is listed in the Connect Using area at the top of the Window.
- If Client for Microsoft Networks is missing:
- Click on Install
- Select Client
- Select Client for Microsoft Networks and click OK
- If Internet Protocol is missing:
- Click on Install
- Select Protocol
- Select Internet Protocol and click OK
- If QoS Packet Scheduler is present:
- Click on QoS Packet Scheduler
- Click on Uninstall to remove it
- To configure your networking client, select Client for Microsoft Windows and click the Properties button.
- From the Name Service Provider drop-down list, select Windows Locator.
- Click OK.
- To configure your TCP/IP settings, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in the properties window and click the Properties button. On the resultant TCP/IP properties window, be sure the following defaults are selected: Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically.
- Click the Advanced button and select the IP Settings tab. If you have a gateway address listed under Default Gateways, select it and click Remove.
- Click on the DNS tab. The DNS server addresses area should be blank; select and remove any addresses you find there. In the next part of the window, select Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes. In addition, check the box next to Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix. Leave the DNS suffix box blank and check the box next to Register this connection's addresses in DNS.
- Click on the WINS tab. Select and remove any WINS address listed. Check the box next to Enable LMHOSTS lookup. In the NetBIOS setting area, select Use the NetBIOS setting from the DHCP server.
- Click OK to return to the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties window. Click OK to return to the Local Area Connection Properties window. Click Close to close the Local Area Connection Properties window. If prompted, restart your computer.