The President of Keene State College is the chief executive officer and administrative head of the college. Reporting directly to the Board of Trustees of the University System of New Hampshire, the President will also serve as a full member of this 27-member board and as a colleague of the Chancellor of the University System of New Hampshire and the presidents of Granite State College, the University of New Hampshire, and Plymouth State University. The College’s next leader will be committed to the public liberal arts mission of Keene State College and able to effectively communicate the positive direction in which the institution is headed and the value of this distinctive education.
Working with a wide range of internal and external constituencies, the President of Keene State College will provide the personal and professional leadership to foster and build upon the existing strengths of the institution as well as seek new opportunities for Keene State as the public liberal arts college of New Hampshire. At Keene State College, the President directs an executive leadership team comprised of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Vice President for Institutional Advancement, the Vice President for Finance and Planning, the Vice President of Student Affairs, the Chief Officer of Diversity and Multiculturalism, and the Director of Human Resources.
Priorities for the next President include the following:
- Embracing and further supporting the distinctive public liberal arts mission at Keene State College.
- Maintaining and enhancing the strength of academic programs in the various disciplines.
- Increasing diversity of students, faculty, and staff and improving the campus climate to further support diversity.
- Expanding financial support for the institution, including potential new revenue streams and private support, through active fundraising.
- Nurturing and expanding excellent community relationships and partnerships in the local area, region, and beyond.
Qualifications and Experience
- Demonstrated senior-level leadership in a higher education institution or other similarly complex organization. The individual has the ability to lead a highly creative and committed faculty, academic professionals, and support staff.
- Strong business acumen and management skills.
- Successful fundraising experience and the ability to develop additional resources for the institution.
- Outstanding academic credentials including a terminal degree is preferred. An applicant who has attained the highest level of distinction and leadership in his or her chosen field may also be considered.
Collaborative in approach: Leads through collaboration and is capable of gaining consensus and moving initiatives forward in an inclusive way.
Commitment to diversity: Values and is committed to diversity and has successfully worked to foster and enhance diversity within an organization.
Politically adept: Possesses the ability to work effectively with local and state legislators and other elected officials. Possesses the credibility and skills to work successfully in a collective bargaining environment.
Commitment to shared governance: Demonstrates respect for and commitment to shared governance, especially in assessing planning and implementing educational initiatives and academic policies.
Relationship builder: Fosters productive and supportive relationships with internal and external constituencies and effectively interacts with a range of groups.
The next President of Keene State College should exhibit the following personal characteristics:
- Passionate about a liberal arts education, with a genuine commitment to students.
- Engaging and accessible to others, including faculty, staff, and students.
- Articulate in communications with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Innovative and able to see new opportunities.
- Has impeccable integrity and values as evidenced through consistent action.