Bachelor of Arts
School of Sciences, Sustainability, and Health
Students will possess:
- Technical skill in completing mathematical processes;
By _technical skill _we mean both the ability to correctly apply standard algorithms found in the undergraduate mathematics curriculum as well as the ability to choose an appropriate algorithm.
- Breadth and depth of knowledge of mathematics;
By breadth we mean work in both the applied and pure areas of mathematics.
By depth we mean the ability to recognize, represent, and connect mathematical ideas in multiple ways; the ability to reason both inductively and deductively; and the ability to meaningfully engage in the pocess of mathematical problem solving.
- An understanding of the relationship of mathematics to other disciplines;
- An ability to communicate mathematics effectively;
- A capability of understanding and interpreting written materials in mathematics;
- An ability to use technology to do mathematics.
Mathematics Education for Elementary Teachers
The graduating Mathematics Education Major will possess each of the following.
- Technical skill in completing mathematical processes.
- Breadth and depth of knowledge of mathematics.
- An understanding of the relationship of mathematics to other disciplines and mathematics education.
- A recognition and understanding of a learning climate in which elementary school students can develop their mathematical knowledge as well as their abilities to communicate mathematically.
- A capability of understanding and interpreting written materials in mathematics and mathematics education.
- An ability to use grade-appropriate technology.
- A rich understanding of the design and implementation of instruction that promotes
- students' development of mathematical knowledge appropriate for the elementary school.
- An extensive understanding of the nature and purpose of the K-8 mathematics curriculum in the United States.