KnowledgeUpon completion of the architecture major students will understand:
- Basic design principles underlying two- and three dimensional design.
- The relationship between aesthetic, social, cultural, historical, behavioral, environmental, and technical aspects in synthesizing design solutions.
- A basic visual vocabulary of cities, buildings and landscapes in their historical, cultural, social, philosophical, political, and religious contexts.
- Fundamentals of building sciences including basic: physics of structures, properties of materials, construction processes, and building systems.
- The science and practice of sustainable design
- Basics of architectural practice concerning ethics, client relations, regulatory factors, and contracts.
SkillsUpon completion of the architecture major students will be able to:
- Apply design principles and theories, synthesizing concepts into architectural forms
- Gather and analyze information about human needs and behavior to inform the design process.
- Investigate appropriate materials and building systems for their designs.
- Analyze, research, and question how the built environment relates to a social, cultural, historical, religious, and political context.
- Apply basic principles (qualitative and quantitative) of sustainable design to analyze the environmental impact of their design solutions.
- Analyze simple structural problems and communicate with structural engineers.
- Employ and express design solutions using conventional and state of the art visual graphic media.
- Communicate architectural ideas in written and oral form.
- Collaborate and communicate with colleagues, clients, and others.
- Create an on-going portfolio of individual architectural work.
ValuesUpon completion of the program students will be disposed to:
- Promote the value of aesthetics or beauty in our society.
- Encourage the growth of communities within a social, historical, and cultural context.
- Employ and promote principles and practices of environmentally sustainable design in architecture, urban planning, and their daily lives.
- Embrace teamwork and collaboration in all settings.
- Engage in service to their communities through design.