NetID Password Policy
The KSC password change policy* for faculty and staff helps to establish strong IT Security practices on campus. Passwords are a first line of defense for protecting the computing infrastructure because all network accounts, applications and systems are vulnerable to attack and misuse when passwords are compromised. Individuals who practice strong security habits, such as locking office doors and unattended workstations, also help to limit the exposure of malicious activity initiated by password compromise.
The password policy contains the following requirements:
- Faculty and staff must change their password every 180 days.
- Complex passwords must be used. Complex passwords follow the following standards:
- Be 8 to 16 characters in length.
- Contain a lower case letter, an upper case letter, and a number.
- Contain only alpha numeric characters and the following special characters ! ~ % ^ + * - . _ [ ] '
- Not contain spaces.
- Not include your name.
- Be different from previously used passwords.
- Be sufficiently different from your current password.
* CITC approved the password change policy in April of 2004.