Dr. Pam Smith
Pam Smith appreciates that the classes at Keene State are small enough that faculty and students can get to know each other. She also likes that the College values advising and mentoring of students. She hopes her students leave her classes knowing they have support and encouragement in their paths to becoming professionals in the field of nutrition and wellness. She especially likes to follow their success while they’re at KSC and after graduation in dietetic internships, graduate school, and the world of work and service.
Degrees and Credentials:
BS, Nutrition and Rural Health Systems, Specialization in Community Education, Hofstra University, NY
MS, Nutrition Science, Specialization in Education, Boston University
EdD Health Care Education, Nova Southeastern University
RD, New England Deaconess Hospital, Boston, MA
Focused on student development through advising, mentoring, service learning, and experiential education. Committed to working with individuals and groups to enhance self-awareness and self-efficacy in the areas of food and nutrition, wellness, fitness, and stewardship of food-growing skills.
Faculty member, Keene State College, Keene, NH, 1992 to present
Adjunct Faculty member, Southern NH University, Culinary School, Manchester, NH
Principal, The Nutrition Connection, Concord, NH, 1982-present
Vista Volunteer, Nutrition and Health, New Hampshire, 1975-76
Awards & Accolades:
Campus Compact for New Hampshire and Antioch New England Graduate School, Problem Based Service Learning Faculty Fellowship, 1997-1998
Nova Southeastern University Programs for Higher Education Scholars Award, 1997
2004, Nutrition Consultant to the Grenada Food and Nutrition Council, Grenada, West Indies
2010, WOOFER on two organic farms on Maui and Hawaii islands, growing and distributing local food, training, and educating farmers and staff.
Selected Professional Work:
- Smith, Pamela (2001). The KSC Nutrition programs: A Context for Learning . . . A Tool to Meet
- Community Needs in Experiential Learning at KSC, p.1.
- Smith, Pamela; in Keene State College Dietetic Internship Program: A Wellness Focused
- Approach” (2000) in the 2000 Summit: Best Practices in Dietetic Education, pp. 40-44
- Smith, P. and Preble, W. (2000) “Assessment of Learning in PBSL Field Guide for Making a Difference in Higher Education
- Antioch New England graduate program Education by Design. Pp. 91-111