The Keene State College Dietetic Internship has two program tracks: the regular (local) track and the distance clinical track. We accept 10 interns into our local track and 6 interns into our distance clinical track. All 16 interns will start the internship together in September. The 10 local interns will complete their entire internship in the Keene area. The 6 distance clinical interns will complete the majority of their internship requirements with the local interns. In mid-May to early June distance clinical interns will return to their home community or geographic area of their choice to complete their independently arranged clinical rotation.
Our Ideal Applicant
Admission and Selection Criteria
Our ideal applicant demonstrates interest in community nutrition, public health, and/or education. Keene State interns often work with low socioeconomic status individuals and groups. A successful application must include all of the required information outlined below. We rank the parts of your application in the following order of importance:
- Work Experience/Volunteer Experience
- Personal Essay
- Letters of Recommendation
- Dietetics GPA
- Telephone Interview
We are looking for your work/volunteer experience, personal essay, portfolio, and telephone interview to demonstrate the following characteristics:
- Interest in community nutrition, public health, and education
- Self-direction and independence
- Good organizational and communication skills
While we don't have a GPA cut-off, applicants with lower grades will need to impress us in other ways. (Our current intern class has an overall average GPA of 3.36.)
Graduate classes are a part of the internship and do NOT require an additional graduate school application.
Completing the Application
Dietetic Internship Computerized Application Services (DICAS)
We will be participating in the online centralized internship application, DICAS, which may be found at https://portal.dicas.org. DICAS will be available in early December 2014 for the Spring 2015 match. The online application must be completed for our program by 11:59 p.m. central time on February 15, 2015. The DICAS fee is $40 for the first application you submit and $20 for each additional application.
The following are components of your application that will be done in DICAS:
- Complete the sections for personal and academic information.
Personal statement (maximum 1,000 words). In DICAS you have the ability to write multiple personal statements so that each one is tailored to the specific internship for which you are applying. Please note the specific questions to be addressed in your personal statement for KSC:
- Why do you want to enter the dietetics profession?
What are some experiences that have helped to prepare you for your career? Give a specific example of how you have demonstrated each of the following characteristics (if possible, relate your examples to work you have done within the community):
- Organizational skills
- Communication skills
What are your short and long term goals?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses/areas needing improvement? What have you learned from your successes? Your mistakes?
- Because we consider leadership skills important, describe a situation or project in which you took a leadership role. How did you move the project forward? What roadblocks did you encounter and how did you overcome them?
- What other information do you consider important for the selection decision?
Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended should be sent to:
DICAS - Transcript Dept.
PO Box 9118
Watertown, MA 02472
(Be sure to follow the DICAS instructions for mailing in your transcripts so DICAS receives them in a timely fashion.)
- References - When completing the application form, applicants must include the name and email address for each reference. An email will be sent to the reference requesting the completion of a reference form. The form will be completed online. Students applying to more than one internship will need to use the same individuals as references for each application. KSC requires three references. Of those three, one should be from a teacher/professor, one from a work or volunteer supervisor, and one other reference of your choice.
For any questions regarding DICAS please email DICASinfo@DICAS.org
Required Supplemental Application (sent to Keene State College Dietetic Internship)
1. Complete the supplemental application form [PDF].
In an effort to better understand your experiences, strengths, and interests we require the submission of a portfolio. Online portfolios are accepted. Portfolio materials are used when evaluating and ranking each applicant. If you would like your portfolio returned to you after the selection process, please include the return postage. (A self addressed stamped envelope or a check to cover the postage.)
Suggestions for materials to be included in your portfolio include:
- Descriptions and examples of individual or group projects completed in school, at work or in a volunteer setting. (For group projects, you must indicate your role or contribution to the project.)
- Evidence of special interests, abilities or experiences
- Articles, videotapes, presentations, and/or handouts that you wrote or prepared
- Certificates or awards received
- Additional letters of reference (optional)
Additional portfolio tips:
- Include an explanation or reflection on what each piece tells us about you or what you learned from each experience/project.
- Emphasize quality and variety over quantity.
- Document a progression of your knowledge and skills.
- Include evidence of a variety of skills: writing, technology, all forms of communication, organization, leadership, service, creativity, and self-direction.
- Provide materials and a format that reflects you! Let us see your creativity.
- For mailed portfolios, please make sure they will fit in a standard size mailing envelope or box. For electronic portfolios, please write the URL on the supplemental application form and email the URL to firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Application fee
A nonrefundable application fee is required. The fee is $70 if applying to one track, or $80 if applying to both tracks. Make checks payable to Keene State College.
If you wish to be notified whether or not your application is complete, address and stamp a postcard and include it in your supplemental application. The postcard will only be returned to you if it has been addressed and stamped.
5. Distance clinical track applicants only
In addition to the above required elements of the supplemental application, distance clinical interns must submit a preceptor information form and a signed preceptor agreement. You can download the following forms here (these forms can also be found on the distance clinical tab of the website):
Mail supplemental application to:
Stephanie Chmielecki, MS, RD, LD Assistant Director Keene State College Dietetic Internship
229 Main Street
Keene, NH 03435-2910
Please send your supplemental application form, portfolio, and application fee in the same envelope/package.
Postmarked by February 15 (If the 15th falls on a weekend or postal holiday, materials must be postmarked by the next business day.).
Once applicants are screened, some of you will be called to schedule a telephone interview. Current interns conduct and record the interviews in order for the selection committee to listen to them later.
The KSC dietetic internship selects applicants through a computer matching process. In addition to completing the DICAS application and our supplemental application, applicants must register on the D&D Digital website, pay the $50.00 computer matching fee with a credit card and submit their prioritized list of selected dietetic internships online to D&D Digital before the designated deadline dates. You can obtain the instruction packet from your Didactic Program advisor or by contacting D&D Digital. Applicants should call D&D Digital prior to the deadline if they do not receive an e-mail with login information.
D&D Digital Program Codes
Regular (local) track – 245
Distance Clinical track - 142