Abstract Guidelines for the 16th Annual Academic Excellence Conference - Saturday, April 9, 2016
The abstract you submit to the Academic Excellence Conference (AEC) Selection Committee is the most crucial part of your proposal. It should describe the objectives, results, and conclusions of your scholarly project and, where applicable, the methods you used. It should not exceed 150 words and should be written in language that avoids unnecessary jargon and that can be understood by both a disciplinary expert and a reasonably informed non-specialist. The faculty member who acts as your project mentor must review and approve your abstract. For group presentations, participants should submit only one proposal.
Your abstract is a formal piece of writing. If accepted, it will appear in the AEC program. Work with your project mentor to write and revise several drafts before submitting it for review.
Proposals are due by 11:59 p.m. on Monday, November 30, 2015.
The AEC Selection Committee will be using the following criteria to evaluate your proposal:
- The title of the presentation is descriptive.
- The objectives, goals, and/or purpose of the project are clear and coherent.
- The project is presentable to a college-wide audience and avoids unnecessary use of jargon.
- The abstract is consistent with principles and methodology of the discipline.
- The abstract contains no typographical or spelling errors and follows the standard usage of grammar and punctuation.
- The abstract meets the 150 word limit.
Upon review of your abstract the Selection Committee will make one of the following recommendations:
Accepted: Congratulations! Your abstract has been accepted for presentation at the 2016 Keene State College Academic Excellence Conference. Please work with your faculty/staff mentor to prepare for the conference.
Accepted Pending Minor Revisions: Please work with your faculty/staff mentor to revise the abstract addressing issues identified by reviewers. Resubmit your proposal by 5 p.m. on Wednesday, January 27, 2016.
Denied: The AEC Committee regrets to inform you that your proposal was not accepted. The committee will offer a brief explanation of its decision.